Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently had to start looking for new snowmobile insurance because the company that iam with,Which is Mass Insurance brokers told me that they would no longer insure my sled by itself, that i had to have a car on the policy or find another company.I have been calling other insurance company's only to get quotes like 1000.00 cdn,even had one for 3300.00 cdn for one year!!!! for a 2000 Zrt 800
If anyone knows of a good company in canada could you please share it with me...Thanks for any help :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
HMMMMMMMMMM...........
They are really putting the boots to people here in Ont. who ride a sled bigger than 700.
1000 cnd is about the norm sorry to say.....
My bro who drives a 900 Cat was able to get his rocket insured for $700. He has two cars and a house with the same broker.
If you do not have anything else to insure you most likely will be SOL.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Primmum took mine with nothing else insured with them. I insured the '99 583 Form Dlx and the '97 380 Formula, it was about $250 for the two with no collision.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I ride an 02 ZR-800. I was quoted upwards of $800/yr on my renewal but have since got it down to just under $300/yr by dropping collision.
My premium last year was just a shade under $500 with full coverage, nice increase, wish my wages had gone up that much. This is with Economical Mutual. My father is insured through Royal Ins (he's 70 yrs old this year) when he called last week while out looking at a Pantera 800 he was told they will not insure any sled 699cc and over.
It would seem the ins co's in Ontario are treating folks on an case by case basis and have come up with a black list of sleds bases first on engine size and secondly on the sled itself, meaning a 600 ZL might be fine but they may reject a 600 ZR.
Good luck on your hunt and don't give up without phoning every ins. co you can for a price and availability.
It sucks but what choice do you have but to pay-none!
Rick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that was my premium last year to 500.00 full coverage,the only problem is the bank says i have to stay with full coverage,but maybe i will drop the collision and just keep it a secret...lol thanks for the input

Jay

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hey 3000gt,
If your insurance co has the bank down as the lein holder, when you drop collision they will send a letter informing them you have dropped the coverage, problems with the bank WILL follow. They want full coverage on the sled to protect their interest and somewhere in your loan contract you have agreed in writing to do so.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Rick.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I go through Royal , they told me they wouldn't insure anything over 699 cc's . Told them I have a Mach z he called me back 2 min latter . Full coverage $525 for the Mach and $143 for the phazer . Good luck :0:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help guys!!!I will try all your suggestions keep em coming, THIS SITE KICKS @$$ SWRules

·
Registered
374 Posts
Everyone is having troubles with insurance. As long as people keep killing themselves the worst it will get.

This is outrageous. :cussing:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
We have the same problem here in Manitoba but not to the same extreme as Ontario. Last year I was insured through MIG. My 02 MX-Z 600 cost me $430 for fire, theft vandalism, collision etc and if it was written off I got the full price of the sled back. MIG will not insure a sled this year. We also have Manitoba Public Insurance but they will not even kiss ya when they drill you from behind. I found JJ REICH & Associates here. They have an underwriter in Saskatchewan. My insurance did go up this year to $480 but I'm insured for everything including collision. I have it insured for $8000. Not great but I can live with it. I'm not sure if they will insure anyone in Ont. but give them a call at 1-877-940-5572

·
Registered
44 Posts
Insurance what a rip off, I do agree everyone needs it but I just got off the phone with my agent asking why the physical lost or damage to the sled had gone up by $60.00 when the sled is getting older.They informed me that everything is going up. So I asked how the value was determined & found out it was total replacement for the sled when it was new? But if I cracked it up I would only receive what it actually was worth. Seems like the value should be adjusted yearly & not the initial replacement cost?

The company is Allstate & ya you can insure just a sled, They just knocked off $100.oo with what the vehicle is worth instead of what I bought it at which =$277.00 much better!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have good luck with statefarm. It seems like a lot of the other insurance wont insure you unless you have a car under there policy. Statefarm seems to be a rare company that will only insure a sled. My Mach is 720 a year and the Rev is 950 a year.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Originally posted by 3000gt@Nov 26 2002, 02:34 PM
rob7374 called them and its no go in ontario for sleds,but thanks anyway
It was worth a try. Sorry I couldn't help more but hey it was a free call any way. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info,Do you guys no if Allstate and statefarm will insure a sled in canada...Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts