Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious about porting my snowmobile cylenders.
a friend of mine did it on his dirt bike and said he gain a good amount, a ton more then boring it out .20 over.

any bad things come with porting?
any have this done before?
who will do this?
and how does this usually cost?
or would boring the cylender out be a better idea?

thanks for all your help
aaron

·
1,327 Posts
Originally posted by aaron hartley@Oct 28 2002, 11:30 AM

any bad things come with porting?
any have this done before?
who will do this?
and how does this usually cost?
or would boring the cylender out be a better idea?

Q: any bad things come with porting?
A: Yes, it will turn your sled into a boat anchor if done incorrectly or for the wrong application. You don't want a drag race port job for a trail sled or vice versa.

Q: any have this done before?
A: I've done it a few times, with sleds, as well as bikes, with good and very bad results.

Q: who will do this?
A: There are a bunch of race shops and engine tuners that will do the work, check in your yellow pages or ask around in your area. Someone here may know of a tuner in your area as well.

Q: how much does this usually cost?
A: Depends on who does it and what you want done!

Q: would boring the cylender out be a better idea?
A: probably not, unless you increased the size significantly.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself the first time, if you screw up, you end up with an expensive paper weight(I know, I have done this)

Good luck

DP

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 28 2002, 10:45 AM
I heard from some that Sport Ports self use templates work well.
I wouldn't recommend this unless you really know what you are doing. It's not as simple or safe as their add leads one to believe.

·
Registered
516 Posts
LOL expensive paper weight is right thats why i'm gonna have mine done professionally cause i want it done right. i was thinkin having PSI doing it. anyone know their work and reliability?

·
Registered
113 Posts
What type of sled? All the above info. is pretty much spot on. Application and expertise is of paramount importance. If you tell us the sled I am sure some names will pop up. Let me ask you this..

Trail sled?
Have you clutched it yet?

Clutching will go a LONNNGGGGGG way and not sacrifice engine reliability if done properly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been talking to RKT and Don Emry about mods to the 800 Rev.

RKT head $350 10hp
Don Emry's port and polish job (trail) $600 13hp Don has about 3800 miles on a Rev with his port and polish job. Has had no problems with it. Very reliable.

This combination is 23hp for about $1000

Guess what I'm ordering soon. :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had my doo 700 blue printed and ports polished. I had a guy that worked at D&D Racing do the work. I store my sled there(Hinkley Motorsports) every summer, and when I pick it up in the fall it's ready to rock. I gain some HP, and the engine sounds and runs so smooth. I also put in a clutch kit to put the power to the ground. I think that a good clutch kit makes all the mods that much better.

just my .02

FZ700

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i know a guy with a ported and polished srx,i dont know who did it(i think bender??)does it ever go,must have 10000 miles and still running strong

1 - 14 of 14 Posts