Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in law is looking at getting a new IQ four stroke. Does anyone have one that would care to share their thoughts on it? I have an IQ two stroke - so I think I understand the chassis somewhat, but was curious as to what others thought of the extra weight, different torque curve, fuel economy, power, reliability, service required, etc of the four stroke. Any thoughts would be great - thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
OK, just my take. Not looking to offend anyone. I researched the heck out of that sled. The more I looked, the more people with problems surfaced. Everyone says the problems have been fixed. Polaris should be proud right? Why aren't they taking them to shoot outs or anything? Why only the 700 2 stroke - knowing full well it'll be out classed many times?

I ran into a guy with an FST out riding this weekend. After talking with him for a while I asked him about his motor - He's had a lot of trouble, dropping it off at the dealers on the way home from most of his trips to date. He has now changed dealers, and believes everything but a little hard starting issue is under control. This was an '06 model. That's not the first time I've heard that the dealer is key. It's going to take one that has sold a few of them and has the staff that knows what's going on with them.

The performance numbers are all there on this sled. It looks good, and some people defend them fiercely. I was convinced I wanted to try a four stroke. I decided I couldn't gamble on possible downtime with the sesaons as short as they are and left Polaris for a Yamaha. FWIW

·
Registered
348 Posts
For what its worth - if it starts hard, go and have your dealer check your timing valves and make sure its within spec. The reason I brought that up because I have a '05 Polaris wheeler, bought it brand new and after a year, it was running and starting worse and worse. I took it to my dealer where I bought it from, comes to find out - it wasnt a carb problem, it turns out to be the timing valves were out of spec. After the dealer did the adjustments, the wheeler has been running great since. WL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My father in law is looking at getting a new IQ four stroke. Does anyone have one that would care to share their thoughts on it? I have an IQ two stroke - so I think I understand the chassis somewhat, but was curious as to what others thought of the extra weight, different torque curve, fuel economy, power, reliability, service required, etc of the four stroke. Any thoughts would be great - thanks[/b]

I owned a 06 FST switchback for about 2weeks and put 250 miles on it before the dealer was good enough to let me trade back in on 900 switchback. I did not like the nose heavy feel at all and the power did not come on quick enough for me . you couldn't pop the front end over little bumps in the trail unless you anticipated the wheelie before you were to it and pushed on the throttle soon enough for the turbo to build.. since i traded i heard they had alot of troubles, maybe 07 or 08 are better i don't know and don't care, not that the 900 is a gem..

my 2 cents

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have a ridden an 06 fst classic alot. the turbo lag is noticable but not horrible. from a 40 roll its pretty quick. ride is awesome. feels a little heavy, but it aint a dragon, its a cruiser.
has been in for service quite a bit, now all updates are done and its working fine. if you purchase one all updates should be done. would i buy one probably not unless i got a sweet deal, but its a comfy ride. mpgs are good can get 140 miles on a tank for sure. but it reads empty at more than half tank. havent pushed it any further to see its limit. if you fill up when it reads empty you can only put in about 4 or 5 gallons. rode on empty for about 3 hours last weekend and it still only took 7 gallons. going in to the dealer to check it out soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through the same thing before i bought my new sled i looked hard at the yamaha r1 engine and the a/c 660t and polaris 4stroke. I ended up with the yamaha apex if i had to rate my opinion of the three it was yamaha polaris then artic cat. I looked at fit and finish talked to people who owned them and spent alot of time looking through the forums. So far im happy with my choice. But i never rode the polaris just the a/c and yamaha. One thing to keep in mind is how very important the dealer service is.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Do you like your father-in-law?

I've only seen one of those machines around. It was around for part of last season. More recently, it was parked at the airport waiting for a $1000 RT back to the dealer. I suspect we won't be seeing many of those anytime soon upon which to draw more conclusive opinions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My father in law is looking at getting a new IQ four stroke. Does anyone have one that would care to share their thoughts on it? I have an IQ two stroke - so I think I understand the chassis somewhat, but was curious as to what others thought of the extra weight, different torque curve, fuel economy, power, reliability, service required, etc of the four stroke. Any thoughts would be great - thanks[/b]
I'm a polaris mechanic, and done just about everything you can do to them. The 2006 sleds had problems. The 2007 were a little better, but the 08's are fast and most of the bugs should be corrected. But it still has the A.G. Weber motor out of the watercrafts. Don't over heat the motor or you will be replacing the cylinder head. I could tell you all the recalls of those sleds, but i don't have the time, bottom line is don't by an 06 or 07 unless you get a smokin deal. I sorry, i wouldn't buy one unless your a polaris mechanic, true story!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i was watching some snowmobile show on espn2 yesterday morning, and they were doing a top end shootout of all the major brands. they said the top speed of the day was the polaris fst at 107mph. i saw they had a dragon, an f8, an mxz800. i was surprised all the others put up like 103 104 or 105. this cant be the true top speed of all these sleds?? must have been 1000 ft run or something?? the one i rode felt quick, but i didnt hammer it like that. i put it up to about 80 or so. you would think if polaris put them up to it(bribe)it would be the dragon winning.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The snowmobile shows and magazines wouldn't about something as measureable as top speed.
THe Dragon is not all that fast, and I have no trouble believing that an 08 FST will beat it on the top end. THe Dragon's forte is rough trail.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's been documented more than few places that the FST has the fastest top speed in the STOCK class of sleds, both 07 and 08. It really takes a lot to get any sled over 110 mph ( real mph, not dream-o-meter mph), mainly lots of h.p., the right track, supension, and clutch settings, and a really good overall tune on the whole sled. I don't think the FST will win alot of 660ft drags, but it will be there on top end, mainly because of that turbo. That said, there seem to be a few good running 06's, and a lot with problems. I still have a hard time figuring out the early ones running too cool, and having gas in oil problems. Have not heard too much good or bad on 07's. All of that "should be fixed" for the " 08 model year as said above, but I suppose time will tell. I think I might like one too, but I still have a hard time buying a new sled that take almost 2 hours to change the plugs, but that is just me. Ask how much fun it is to change the oil and filter on a Apex. :undercover:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts