Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Faeo and Quam take 1st on Polaris.

Average speed this tough year was less than 50 mph…49, 48, 47, 46 mph for the first 4 places respectively.

The machines sounded absolutely smooth as they came into the finish line, pretty amazing considering all the bare ground, poor trail, and open water they had to deal with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What really surprised me and my friends was how quiet all of the top 4 machines were. 1st place machines were so quiet that it wasn't until they were couple hundred yards that we heard them. Skidoos came next and the same thing. Made us wonder if they were running 4 strokes. They weren't of course, but still.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
600s seem to be the most common, a strong, reliable engine size with plenty of power and speed…and economy, for long-distance racing.

A race like this does help to drive the construction of tough, long-lasting machines. I really expected to see some things look or sound pretty rattly on the machines coming in, but they sounded and looked strong. Granted, 2000 miles shouldn't really show on a machine, but these guys ran through some hellish conditions, with mere minutes spent wrenching at the midway point in the race (Nome).

The first eight places alternated Polaris, Ski-doo, Polaris, Ski-Doo, all on 600s. 9th, 10th were both Polaris 600s; 11th place were Yamaha 1049 cc 4-strokes.

http://www.irondog.org

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The interesting sidebar to the culmination of this event has been the addition of local classic, tired-iron, etc races. We're talking the little old box-sleds from the 60s and 70s. They had some beautiful little restored rigs running around. Yesterday we got into the middle of one such race out on the river. We were passed up by some little old black and yellow (or was it black and purple?). In any case, that guy wasn't going all that fast; less than 50, but his contrail sure smelled like burning rubber. And those squat little machine just looked flat on the ground. WOW! suspensions!!! We have certainly come a long way, baby!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No mention of Cats? That's interesting. It also makes a lot of sense to look to the 600 class for endurance and dependability. Thanks for the info!

When I look at some of the old iron, my back end gets sore just looking!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts