Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a commercial last night hyping the new 150 HP 4 stroke Sea-doo.  What happened to DFI?  Are they giving up? The commercial went on to say how it was quieter, more powerful, and more fuel efficient that anything they had ever produced.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Bring on the Big, Bad Four Strokes. They are the Future, although I'd like to see an ZX MachZ and 600 or 700 MachZ.
Caleb

·
Registered
107 Posts
For Seadoo, i would say ya because of all the restrutions on then now. at least where i'm from.  they just got banned off the biggest lake in my area.  Because of the nosies and how people drove them.  In my mind they are trying to remarket them to the public as more user friendly and more to wards the family.  But for snowmobiles four strokes are the future but i think there will be a couple more two strokes.  Hopefuly when the two strokes go out they will go out like the old 670 did.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mighty rx-1,
 in a world where it is second class to smoke and okay to have a same sex partner,,, what would we all expect ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I won't comment on the last two post, but I will say the four stroke technology is there, we have some four stroke powered outboards where I work both Yamaha and Honda and they are used and abused by multiple operators and I can honestly say they are tough and they will move and only burn a fraction of the gas our old two strokes did and they run way better and the weight is very close to the two strokers, so I know it can be done and I think people will be pleased in the end.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mighty rx1,
 what i am saying is all things have gone overboard in all directions when it comes to tree hugging.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mighty rx1,
 it just came to me and i the thought is, were you on when zrt600mtncat made his last post here the other night ?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I missed it Paul, not spending much time here with getting my summer toys out.  By the way, what did he post?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It seems that Bombi is concentrating on 2 strokers. They will have a high performance 4 stroke for a sled someday,but I think it will be longer away than some people think.

Since Bombi bought out OMC,they totally revamped the company.2 strokes will dominate thier outboard sales.They do offer some lower powered 4 strokes.With Ficht,they have cleaned up 2 stroke outboards bigtime.Yamaha has come out with a 225 hp 4 stroke now.Thats big hp for a 4 stroker.Bombi will stick with 2 strokes in the high performance catagory.I would buy a Bombi outboard in a heartbeat,but I got some good miles left on my 150 hp Yammer.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mxz7, I don't agree.  The commercial hyped the 4-stroke big time.  I think that Bombardier is starting to see the problems OMC had with ficht.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mighty RX-1, I don't think they're giving up, but the clock is running on meeting the new emissions standards for watercraft. There are people out there who will only buy a four stroke because they associate them with the vehicles they drive every day as far as visible emissions, noise levels, and fuel/oil economy.
Four strokes are cheaper to build and meet the standards today. DFI is expensive, still isn't perfected for all applications. But remember Bombardier also has Orbital DFI and when they get DFI right at the right price, everyone will have pay Bombardier for the rights to use either DFI system. This means we get to keep two strokes and beat up on everybody else's four strokes in the future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the first part of April I was fortunate to take atrip over to
Austria and was able to get a guided tour of the ROTAX plant.
To say the least it was very Interesting and hi-tech,we were not permitted to take photos inside nor were we able to see the r&d facility.What we did see was the complete assembly lines ,the parts wharehousing,all crank grinding and manufacturing,gear and trans. manufacturing(for Aprilla and BMW motorcycles).We asked our guide about the future of two strokes and she told us that they feel it is very uncertain,and Rotax did not want to leave it to chance and had already tooled up to build 4strokes.When we were there they were assembling 5 new engines of what they called 4-tec.The engine ranges were from 1500cc. to around 550. the 1500 was expected to power the Sea-Doo and was said to be 150plus horsepower.She also told us they had the tecnology to make clean two strokes but peoples perception of them is they are not clean and that alone might end the two strokes life.They are going to continue to evolve the two stroke as long as possible as we did see the new sdfi 800 engine and I suppose R&D had hybrids of that but we did'nt see that department.Anyhow my hunch is a light weight 4-stroke Machz coming to give the Rx1 a bad time, and what better way to test them than in the Hi-perf class where sales are usually not that big? Then again thats just speculation!

GreyGoat

·
Registered
373 Posts
is the 1500cc an inline 4 or is it a V like the 1000cc? I went to a Ski-doo show this spring and they didn't have a 4 stroke sled there or much info on them either, they did have a Grand Touring with the 800 sdi engine, they did say they 4 stroker would be very limited this coming year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bartman
The 1500 was a inline three cylinder,the also had a 1000cc v-twin and a 880 v-twin. I beleive the 1000 v-twin is the one going into the Grand Touring,It is a derivitive of the Aprilla and BMW v-twin which we did see being dynoed as every engine for these companies is,the bike engines dynoed around 145h.p. I beleive the Touring is going to be less but without the six speed gear box there should be some extra ponies available plus less weight,double bonus for us.The other engine was also a inline 550 three cylinder and no mention of where this engine was headed.One interesting thing was a picture around the factory of an Aprilla race bike that had won several grand national races,I asked  what type of engine it was and was told it was a 250cc inline twin rotary valve making a whopping 145 h.p.?Do you think maybe Rotax is keeping a few secrets over there? They definatley have the tecnology to scare most anybody if let loose,but thats another story.
                   GreyGoat

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the info, I would like to see 145 hp in the sled engine, somewhere I thought I had heard it was only going to be around 100 hp, hopefully I'm wrong they need somthing to compete with that RX-1, 145 hp would do it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Rotax is allways hideing somthing.

It is not the end of 2 strokes Its the begining.

Maybe its the end of 4 strokes since 2 strokes are faster, Cleaner, Ligher, Cheaper to build.  

Who knows???

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Here is the aprilla 250 racer. I wonder if it could be made road legal.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Gotta love those carbon fibre pipes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts