Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scheduled an appointment to bring my sled to a dealer that's got an analyzer to test the Smartride (My local dealer said there's no way to do that and they would have to wait for snow to test it -- my warranty ends before the snow flies). The dealer said that if my light isn't on, there shouldn't be anything wrong with the smartride system. Anybody know anything about this?

I'm really hoping that they find something wrong, because if this sled bottoms out this much with a properly functioning smartride, I'm going to be pretty disappointed. I paid big bucks for this smartride, and all it does is bottom out constantly. :angry:

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I hope that doesnt happen with my machine... Dealer told me though that he would fix it if I rode the first time and it bottomed out. At 150 I dont think i should have a problem... however for 6g's i will be very unhappy if it does

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know AC's makes great sleds, but I didn't know they knew how to make bulbs or leds that don't burn out?

If your sled it doesn't feel right get it checked, and it is not your problem if there is no snow. if you make the dealer aware of the problem b4 the warrenty ends they should take care of it under warranty!

to be honest, your dealer sounds like a scrote -- by telling you if the light is not on don't worry about it -- doesn't build any coinfidence with me...

try another dealer, again b4 the war runs out!

just my 2c-

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
With the number of folks complaining on other sites about their smart ride bottoming out with no mention a light on I would think its more than possible you have a problem. It was hoped that AC would have some sort of a campaign regarding the problem but to the best of my knowledge nothing yet. Sound like you may want to try another dealer before warranty runs out and your fixing on your dime and not AC's. Maybe post what area your in and ask others for a reliable dealer close by. Rick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say your springs are too soft. On other forums they are saying that the dealer is replacing the springs with stiffer ones to fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would agree with the spring idea except theres a guy on another forum that has two 02's with SS suspension, one bottoms and the other doesn't. Identical sleds with the same set up. It could be the soft springs agrivate the situation but are not the whole problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by ViperER2@Oct 1 2002, 03:32 AM
I know AC's makes great sleds, but I didn't know they knew how to make bulbs or leds that don't burn out?

If your sled it doesn't feel right get it checked, and it is not your problem if there is no snow. if you make the dealer aware of the problem b4 the warrenty ends they should take care of it under warranty!

to be honest, your dealer sounds like a scrote -- by telling you if the light is not on don't worry about it -- doesn't build any coinfidence with me...

try another dealer, again b4 the war runs out!

just my 2c-
This isn't my dealer that mentioned the light. My dealer is even worse. :rolleyes:

I stopped in and talked to my dealer in late Feb or early March, and they had already shifted their focus to tractor season, so they told me to come back in October. They also said that they needed snow to test it because there's no way for them to test it without riding it.

So... last week I was chatting with a different dealer and he mentioned that they paid big bucks for some analyzer from Artic Cat that will let them diagnose the smartride, so I walked over to service to make an appointment. The service guy is the one that asked me if my light was on.

As for springs... my dealer said that too... so we looked up springs. My springs are the same part number as the 02 ZR springs. My friend's ZR doesn't bottom on me, and if he's got the same springs I do...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't know about your sled but the ZR's now have a new part number for the rear springs. the new springs spec out the same as the originals but are likely a better quality unit to address similar problems with the ZR's. You can check yours out on Brown's Leisure World. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
What light? I'm the guy with two '02 SS and one bottoms out. I don't see any light. Is your dealer talking about some sort of testing equipment? I'm taking mine in later this month for my dealer to look at. I'll post what he says about the bottoming out. He's pretty reliable, so I'll go with what he says.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sorry abought that, didn't mean to label you as "the guy" I couldn't remember who it was or on what forum. Rick.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no light, hey? This explains why the service guy's comment was the first I'd heard of a light.

I hate being so sled-ignorant. ???

I'm a car guy. I've built my IROC from the ground up, and there isn't a single part left that I haven't modified, upgraded, changed or at least repaired on the car. But this is the first sled I've ever owned and in addition to having absolutely no previous sledding experience to compare it to, I have never turned a wrench and I don't know a damned thing about them. :(

Everybody's help on my last couple posts has been very much appreciated. :) I want to make sure that I'm well enough educated to have a good conversation with the dealer that I'm bringing it too. I understand the smartride portion of the suspension, it's just the general sled suspension knowledge that eludes me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts