Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend want to put motors on our G.T. Snoracers. It isnt the fun to be pulled behind a snowmobile and not go on your own tracks. i think it would be cool to go in deep powder or on the hard pack. If you have done it before then maybe you could send me a picture or a diagram? Thanks. By the way we are 12 and 13.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Anything is possible.
That's how snowmobiles came to be.
However, at this stage of the game, you'd be reinventing the wheel.

Instead of spending tons of money buying parts and retro-fitting them to build a motor powered GT, why not just buy a used snowmobile. In the end, it'll probably be safer and easier and so much more fun. When you add the weight of a motor, 2 clutches, a braking system, a track, it's drive mechanism, a suspension system, lights, etc. you'll end up with a GT, whose frame won't be strong enough to handle the weight, and will be too heavy to offer the flotation you'd need to play in the powder you mention. On the hard pack, the lack of suspension would make it less safe than a snowmobile and force you to drive slower. You also wouldn't be allowed to take it on any snowmobile trails as it's not a registered, motorized snow vehicle.

I would take the money you'd spend on this project and buy a snowmobile instead, and spend more time riding. After all, that's what you said would be fun to do. To ride.

Just my $0.02 Cdn.

Jeff

·
Registered
593 Posts
I also had that dream way back in the day. Don't worry, It will pass. LoL just get an old sled it will perform better and you can still spend a large amount of time wrenching on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to think it was so much fun being pulled behind a snowmobile. You can go so fast, why would you want to solo. :whatever:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes, go find an old snowmobile for as cheap as possible. Make sure it runs, it doesnt have to run well but make sure it runs. Than take it home and fix 'er up! Its fun, trust me :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts