Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was thinking my CDI box went out on me, but then someone suggested it is the stator, which would make sense too.  Here are the symptoms for my '97 zert 600...
Was installing a set of EGT's on the sled and went to start it to find where I wanted to instal the + wire.  Pull it over a dozen times and she doesn't even pop once.  Pull plugs and replace with new ones and still nothing.  Check to see if plugs are even getting a spark, and no spark going to any of the plugs.  At first the headlight wouldn't even flicker when it was being pulled over, but then I rapped on the CDI box a few times and the headlight started to finaly flicker when pulled over, but that was the only thing getting any juice.  Also checked the ignition which turned out to be fine also.  
I highly doubt that both coils would go out at the same time, so that pretty much leaves CDI box or Stator right?  Any ideas, or a way to figure out exactly which it is.  Either way it's no small purchase.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that is very common on cats, and I did that when I first got the sled.  I wish is was something that simple!haha

·
Registered
625 Posts
Did you try diconnecting the EGT guage and then starting it? hooked up wrong? My suspicion if the problem persists is the CDI, the stator could fail, but while pulling it over? nah, very little load on it and very unlikely. The CDI on the other hand with its low current circutry, and possible sensitivity to a wire being hooked up wrong and the odd way it failed makes it the more likely culprit. If you want to be sure get a factory manual and test it piece by piece, hopefully it doesnt tell you to diagnose by changing parts! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
These motors are notoriously bad on stators. They can be checked though. Get the service manual and you can find the resistance over the coils in the stator with a ohm meter.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea 800MXZ, I will try that.

Slarson, nothing was even plugged in yet accept for the ground wire and probes.  There was no power to the EGTs and never even started to hook up any wireing.  
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and I hope it's doesn't trouble shoot by replacing parts either!!haha

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My 95 and 96 zert 800 stators died ,  this happen like this,  i was runing it up on the trailer.  it ran ruff.   i got it to the inlaws,  it would not start.  the other one just would not start one day.  they used to be about $500.   good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
this sounds similar to our 94 prowler which was the cdi box
also our 98 zr the stator went out but when ours went out it lost power and backfired really loud and was completly dead
both expensive parts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Here's another idea that might or might not apply since you said you hadn't started hooking anything up yet.  I had my ZRT6 go dead on me.  Found that that last time I jetted, I must have caught my ground wire when working on the right carb.  It was just loose enough to run 100 miles before it broke loose.  Sled went dead.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jdsmi @ Sep. 03, 2002, 08:28am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Found that that last time I jetted, I must have caught my ground wire when working on the right carb.  It was just loose enough to run 100 miles before it broke loose.  Sled went dead.
Just a thought.[/b][/quote]
That isn't a half bad idea.  That would be a nice suprise to see a bad ground.

For a CDI box it's $340 and for a stator it's $500.
  Hoping for a bad ground!!!!haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts