Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Zrt 600 and I was doing a tune up on the carbs, etc.  I bought a repair book that shows me how to do all this.  After going thru syncronizing the carbs, I started to adjust my oil pump.  According to the book, the two marks on the oil pump and arm should line up when throttle is wide open.  The marks on mine are (were) way off.  They were off towards the minumum oil side.  I adjusted it according to the book and the exhaust seems to be thicker then normal.  Its been a while since this pump was adjusted and I have forgotten what it should be like.  The sled only has 1300 miles and I cant imagine anything being worn out of tolerance.  Should I back off the adjustment a little?  Is too much oil bad?  It is hard to tell right now what it will be like because its 80 degrees out and I cant ride it.  If anyone has any input please let me know.... thanks

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Too much oil won't realy hurt anything per say, but it will cause your sled to run like crap and foul plugs like a son of a gun.  You will know fairly quickly if you are on the high side or not once temps start to drop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In an engine that uses oil injection the use of to much oil over time can cause a build up in the piston lands which can cause your rings to stick.  This can lead to a loss of compression and or ring failure if they hang up in an exhaust port.  Stuck rings can also contribute to high piston temps because they may not transfer heat from the piston to the cylinder walls as well as they should.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.  Like I said, according to the book, its set right.  It just seems like more then it should.  After the engine warms up the exhaust does seem to thin out a little.  I guess I wont know til this winter when I am out riding.  At one point, my friend said that it was running a lot last year when I past her.  She was riding a ski doo  
  I went to have some work done on it and i told them the situation.  They said they would turn it down.  However when I went to adjust it the other day it was waaay off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure on at cat but would guess all to be the same . two years ago my buddies said they got a headake ridding behind my 94fz583 and come to find out when I checked my carbs and oil sync she was rich(oil) set it back and they said it was much better.but the rich oil was not a big prob plug wise. time will tell i`de try it like the book said and tune back from that if needed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the way I have it set.  Mark to mark, thats where it is.  Seems like its still running a little thick.  Although it is warm out, maybe it will change once it gets cold out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts