Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I smoked the Mag side crank bearings on my 03 600 this weekend. Got the crank out, new bearings, seals etc on order. When i split the cases i found the cavity between the Pto side bearings almost full of isoflex, it looked like someone had injected it thru the capped tube. I bought this sled with just over 1000kms is it possible that this was done at the factory?? It says nothing about injecting grease here in the shop manual, just to inject 45ml into the outer side of the outer PTO bearing, 10ml on the inside of the PTO seal and 6ml into the outer MAG side bearing. Why so much Isoflex on the PTO side and so little on the MAG side. There is not that much difference in the size of the bearings I want to make sure i get this right 'cranks/bearings are not cheap to repair!!!!
Skidoo also calls for all the seal lips to be lubed with Petamo grease, both the ISOFLEX and Petamo are very expensive from Skidoo, Isoflex= $68.00 per 50gram tube
Petamo= $83.00 per 400gram cartridge
They are both made by a company called LUBER they have a US division in New Hampshire with a Canadian distributor in Quebec. I will post the phone #'s tomorow. They both will sell direct and ship to you !!!
I bought from the Canadian distributor 'Isoflex= $24.00 per 50 gram tube
Petamo=$8.22 per 400gram cartridge, yes $8.22 !!!!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE !!!!!!! WE ARE GETTING SC%&WED BY SKIDOO!!!!!!!!!
Any input regarding the amounts and where to put the Isoflex would be great !
Thanks in advance Mark

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
The grease between the bearings is grease pushed out of the bearings. You aren't supposed to fill the cavity's between the bearings. The grease in the cavity's actually flows in and out through the bearings when they are turning.

You are right about the Doo gouging us on pricing. I bought 2 tubes of iso and a tube of the Petamo from Kluber (with a K) for $53 including shipping a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The grease between the bearings is grease pushed out of the bearings. You aren't supposed to fill the cavity's between the bearings. The grease in the cavity's actually flows in and out through the bearings when they are turning.

You are right about the Doo gouging us on pricing. I bought 2 tubes of iso and a tube of the Petamo from Kluber (with a K) for $53 including shipping a couple of years ago.[/b]
Ditto on what Keith says, I have bought both Isoflex and Petamo from BRP only to find it originated from Kluber Lubricants US and was relabeled with a BRP part number and the expiry date was passed. Most techs just put Isoflex on the seals instead of Petamo without any ill effects. Make sure the cap on the PTO side nipple has a slit in it to allow expansion or the grease will migrate out the seal. Another alarming observation is that the replacement crank bearings with integral seals are really stiff to rotate. Done quite a few and never got used to the resistance to turning they have. In future (hopefully not on your sled) contact Atilier Adrien Bernard for replacement crank bearings, they sell the same brand sealed bearings without the 600% mark up.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You can also go to just about any auto parts store and order iso flex topas nb 52. It's the same thing but about 1/2 the price. Starting in 2006 on the series III engines the isoflex nipple cap has a small hole in it right from the factory. This is to allow expanding grease and/or air to escape. This is done to protect the inner seal as well. Unfortunately if you over fill the grease tends to seep out and make a mess wallbash.gif The inner is vulnerable to leakage caused by overpressure. You can also install a breather to better fix this issue as it avoids the mess and any excess grease that gets pushed into the tube is available to get pulled back into the bearing as it cools down. Just go and get about 2 feet of 1/4" inner 3/8" outer diameter tubing, 2 wire hose clamps and an air breather filter for 1/4" tube. Clamp one end of the hose to the breather on the case and route the hose up the frame member. Be sure to run the hose inside the torque arm so there is no possibility of the clutch grabbing it. Cap it off with the breather. What you will find when you run the sled is that ISOFLEX will run up the tupe. It's supposed to do that as the isoflex expands when hot. Some will re-melt and go back down into the bearing area as needed. Do not freak out over it and try and push it back in and recap it. You will blow the INNER seal since have the outer retainer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I smoked the Mag side crank bearings on my 03 600 this weekend. Got the crank out, new bearings, seals etc on order. When i split the cases i found the cavity between the Pto side bearings almost full of isoflex, it looked like someone had injected it thru the capped tube. I bought this sled with just over 1000kms is it possible that this was done at the factory?? It says nothing about injecting grease here in the shop manual, just to inject 45ml into the outer side of the outer PTO bearing, 10ml on the inside of the PTO seal and 6ml into the outer MAG side bearing. Why so much Isoflex on the PTO side and so little on the MAG side. There is not that much difference in the size of the bearings I want to make sure i get this right 'cranks/bearings are not cheap to repair!!!!
Skidoo also calls for all the seal lips to be lubed with Petamo grease, both the ISOFLEX and Petamo are very expensive from Skidoo, Isoflex= $68.00 per 50gram tube
Petamo= $83.00 per 400gram cartridge
They are both made by a company called LUBER they have a US division in New Hampshire with a Canadian distributor in Quebec. I will post the phone #'s tomorow. They both will sell direct and ship to you !!!
I bought from the Canadian distributor 'Isoflex= $24.00 per 50 gram tube
Petamo=$8.22 per 400gram cartridge, yes $8.22 !!!!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE !!!!!!! WE ARE GETTING SC%&WED BY SKIDOO!!!!!!!!!
Any input regarding the amounts and where to put the Isoflex would be great !
Thanks in advance Mark[/b]
You c an purchase Isoflex and Petamo in the U.S. from Kluber in New Hampshire, speak to Judy 603-647-4104 ext 170
Or in Canada from Bronswerk Marine in Quebec 450-659-3311, or Oil Mart in Winnepeg 204-231-4142.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FORGET ABOUT THE ISOFLEX!! DON'T DO IT.

When you put your mill back together, do this: (I've been down the isoflex road)

1. go to the skidoo dealer and buy one more oil injection nipple
2. drill a hole on the side of the top crank case and make sure it comes out between the two pto bearings
3. press (tap lightly with a small rubber mallet) the oil injection nipple into the hold (don't recall the drill size)
4 run a splitter line from your 3rd cylinder oil injection line to the newly added oil nipple

I had my crank cases apart so I also drilled out a little hole in the top half of crank case to go from the crank area to the area between the pto bearings. This allows for theoretical flowing of the oil from one side to the other. And your pto bearings wont burn up.

I replace my crank a little while back and notice that there was no seal between the pto bearings. That's why I did what I did.

Hope that helps.

Note: buddy across the street has a polaris xc 600 and there's an oil injection line going into the pto area too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts