Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isr has blown off the 800cc stock limit for drags and allowed the 1000 to race against 700cc 2-strokes. The money must have been good maybe!!!!! The Rx-1 was supposed to beat the pants off the SRx, well maybe it ain't so hot, if they still let it go against a 700 multiple pipe! 800 would be more like it don't you all think. And to top this off the ZR 900 cat 2 stroke can't be run in any stock class yet.

Z

·
0 Posts
There has been several "Rumors",  of the RX-1 in Stock Form,  Running 660' against a Mach Z in Stock Form,  by those were trying to find a place in the ISR Series for the RX-1.    During those test runs,  they found that the Mach Z was much faster than the RX-1.  

So they then ran the RX-1 against the SRX and found that the SRX was in fact,  as fast or most of the time,   faster in 660' than the RX-1.

Seeing how much flack they would have had,  from putting the 1000 in the 600 class,  the logical place,  if you can call it logical,  to put the RX-1,  was in the 700 Triple Class.  

I don't agree personally.  If you have a 1000,  it should be run in the 1000 class.   Do you think they might let me run my 800 in the 500 class this year.   I mean,  the RX-1 is running 300cc's less,  why can't I.    For me it would suck,  to have a 1000 and it be so slow,  that I had to be placed in the 700 class.   But that is just my opinion.    

I have not heard much said about the Cat 900 yet.

Again,  this has been all hear say and rumors.   Has anybody else heard anything?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I say that is better than the motocross guys have it they would be able to run against 500's if we ran by their rules.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not trying to be too ignorant, but why don't they base the brackets on hp numbers instead of cc's? I saw the ZR 900 dynoed at 151 in AmSnow, and have heard the RX-1 is suppossed to be right around there. Another example is if  the F7 is putting out 140 hp in a 700 cc(Cats numbers),that's about the same as the ZR800.Just curious,thanks.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
See, if you read the hype one way or another it is all a matter of definition. I read the hype like this, the RX1 will be a real heavy Viper or a real heavy SRX.

They should not put the thing in 1000, becuase it does not put out no where near the 1000 numbers. Motorcross is still setup like this. The 250s have to race with the 450cc 4 strokes. The bikes weigh the same (within 5-10 lbs) but the 4 strokes have yet to really compete, even though they are putting out as much or even more than the 2 strokes.

The power outputs will need to be itemized and evaluated as output of power in % to a ratio of ccs. Going by current info:

1000 TCat = 171 HP = .171 HP per cc
1000 RX1 = 145 HP = .145 HP per cc

Basically, a 700 tripple is making 145-150 HP nowadays, so I think that they have it in the class that it should be in. It kind of messes Yamaha up anyways. They have the SXR, SRX, Viper, and RX1 all stuck in the same classes together. They have no real 800 contender other than the SRX, which is no longer a production model. This will be the last year that Yam will give out $$ for sposorship for wins with the SRXs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This hole RX1 situation is shaping up to be a classic Yamaha tale.  

Fact.  If there putting the RX1 in a 700 stock class my Mach Z will smoke a stock RX1 which is what i suspected all along.

So next season i wont have anything to worry about.

2 strokes are Cleaner, Faster, BETTER!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is is true that stock 700 triples are putting out 145-150 hp?  I thought the stock Mach Z was 150 hp?  Anyhow, I hope that they did some resarch and testing with the sled first hand before they made their decision.  

If it is true that the RX-1 runs witht the 700 trips, then I feel bad for all the people that were misled by Yamaha and bought the sled based on their advertisements and claims.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I hear ya winter_storm!  If my RX-1 runs with those 700's I'll be very pleased.  I look at it this way, the 4-stroke 400plus cc bikes have to compete with the 250's.  800mxz is correct, if you used the same formula, the RX-1 would be in the 500 class.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
HI GUYS; THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE HERE IS ..HOW LONG DO U THINK THESE GUYS THAT ARE RUNNING RX1 WILL STAY STOCK. IF ITS TIGHT  THEN THEY WILL ADD CAMS N VALVE JOBS N SO ON...... WICH WE SHOULD SEE RX1 WINNING ALOT OF 700 CLASES...(RACE TEAMS )....... THE WAY I SEE IT IS THE THUNDER IS A 1000CC AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT RUNNING IN MY MACHZ CLASS.. BUT ITS NICE TO HAVE ANOTHER CLASS TO RUN..HEHEHE. MAKE A NEW CLASS 4STROCK  THEY DID IT FOR THE THUNDER THEY CAN DO IT FOR THE RX1.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Very good point 69, lets have a 4-stroke class.  I'll put $10.00 on the Polaras, not.

Edit: Mighty RX-1...you know better than to brand bash on the forums --- Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman at June 03, 2002, 10:40pm

·
Registered
546 Posts
Machz69: correct me if i'm wrong. i've never raced in a sanctioned or non-sanctioned race or radar run, but if you start to mode a sled then would he not be cut from running in a 700 stock class event?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
ski-dood, yes if a sled is modified it gets moved to a different class, ie improved stock 700 or even full mod 700, if in the 700 class.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
That is an issue, the RX1 will be much harder to tech. Cams, Springs, vavles, rockers, chains, will all have to be kept an eye on, much less the regular stuff. Bad thing is that one can re-grind a stock cam and get some gains out of it and it would be hard to tech.

JayJay - One thing about stock racing. The 700 sleds are running that kind of HP. It is a class of cheaters. How much you cheat and get away with is 2 differnt things. It is cheaper and funner to run ProStock.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It`s a generally accepted fact that 2 strokers make around 40 to 50 % more horsepwer so I dont think the move to run the rx1  in the 700 class is unwarrented. This year FIM , formula 1`s sanctioning body will run the 500 cc 2 stroke race bikes that make 190 to 195 hp with the 990 cc 4 strokers that are heavier but make around 215 hp, and as in other motorsports, ie; motocross this kind of juggling is not only accepted but in a way mandated. Racing is a bit of marketing and I dont think you could field a whole class of 1000 cc 4 strokers, and who the #### would  want to race teir 1000 4 stroker against a 1000 cc 2 stroke.   Even me being a two stroke owner even accepts thats not fair. My 2 cents is I believe the Srx  will beat the Rx1.  Did they stop making the srx for nexted year? If you look at the stock classes, (TIM!!!!&#33
the srx often wins in the 800 class, just an observation...... however as its modded and run with a modded z the z takes over. Interesting races could be (I dont imply this as part of any class structure) would be the Rx 1 vs the Edge 700, the new f7, and the 800 doo and polaris twins. Let the brawling begin.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I heard that the ZR900 wasnt fast at all, my friend talked to a guy at a dealer that rode one.  this was a few months ago.  ive heard the f7 can AT LEAST keep up with it, IF NOT take it.  I think either the MACH Z or RX-1 will be the fastest this year.  but i dont really lake race, or know TOO MUCH about it.  just what ive heard.  although it seems everyone has heard a diff story, we i guess we will have to wait!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have to say that if you run up against a ZR900 that has not been screwed up by the owner, it will be quite fast. Those Artic Cat big twins are the best engineered twins (motors only) out there and I'm a Doo fan! That 900 is the way to go until they come out with a 1000cc twin Cat in a year or two. Doo needs to get a 1000cc twin out with SDFI and give it serious power. Well, thats my two cents.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Being at the ISR rules meeting and a lot of consideration given to the RX1, the sled was classed in the 700 multipipe class and if it dominates there it will be moved to the 800 class, and for your information once the sled moves out of stock for example to Improved stock it moves to it's cc class that means it will move to Improved Stock 1000 or Pro Stock 1000 not the 700 class.  --  Bill

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think you guys are all making good points but the truth is we don't know how the decision was made. All I know is they wouldn't have dropped the SRX if it didn't outrun it. I was once told they dropped the SRX because it would be too expensive to produce it along with the RX-1. When you think about it that really doesn't make sense. They are already building the RX-1 motor for their bikes so its nothing to make a few more for the sleds. Not only that but the Viper is pretty much the SRX with a single pipe so continuing to manufacture the SRX wouldn't be that big of an expense. I don't get how the Mach Z could be so much faster than the RX-1 when the RX-1 is as fast as the SRX. The SRX took the 800 multipipe class at the haydays. In fact the entire final round was made up of SRX's. The bottom line is the info just doesn't add up. Lets not forget that money has a huge effect on what the magazines are going to say so we can pretty much rule them out. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont care what happend at haydays.  My Bud bought a brand new 2001 srx last year and when we raced I beat him buy a nice indisputable distance.  And for top speed i was much faster.

It seems that the srx's sold to the public and the ones driven at the races are just two diffrent machines.  

The fact is that the Mach is an old sled with not that many new features and it gets a dinosour reputation.  But it is a lethel killing machine and if properly tuned it is the fastest stock sled so far..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts