1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
My opinion, I would say no, 2000 mile top end jobs are not normal. Something in the 3500 - 5000 mile range more common among guys wanting to keep them in top shape. They'll generally go much longer than even that.

2000 miles likely the result of an incident of one kind or another.....

·
Registered
670 Posts
I brother in law had to replace his 440 in a 97 after only 1300 miles.

By the way he ran it without any oil and couldnt figure out why the light was on his dash :lookaround: It was fun towing him back home...

Serously it is not normal but I do see it a lot also.

·
Registered
361 Posts
not that im an expert on this by any means but i feel that if you take care of your sled and give it the proper maintenance like anything else it will last well beyond 2,000 miles...

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Quite often someone advertising a rebuilt engine is stretching things a bit as well.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Quite often someone advertising a rebuilt engine is stretching things a bit as well.[/b]
when the real story is new plugs. :lookaround:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If it's a late model Doo with a Series III engine...it's needed.

·
10,054 Posts
you also have some guys out there that simply tear down their motor every summer,,, for not other reason other than to see what is going on in there. Its much better to catch something in the garage in the middle of June than to catch it 50 mile down the trail in the middle of January.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If any engine I bought new failed in 2000 miles, I would be some dealer's headache, or they would have simply done the necessary thing. Any two-stroke motor worth its salt will go far longer than 2000 miles - and I don't care if the engine was made 20 years ago. Some motors tolerate abusive conditions better than others. However, few are really designed to be used that way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It could be that it's a 10 year old machine with low miles that wasn't perfectly cared for each off season and had dirty carbs that leaned out and melted the top end.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
If it's a late model Doo with a Series III engine...it's needed.[/b]
that is not a true statement. I would be glad to show you the leakage on my 700 after 3800 miles, it shows only 4 percent leakage.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Personally I don't think it's rare to rebuild a motor at 2000 miles, not for mainainence reasons, but because of engine failure. Of all the machines I've owned;
1994 Panther. First rebuild at 3500 miles. Crank failure
1997 Cougar. First rebuild at 2200 miles. Ring turned and hooked port. Second rebuild just under 3000 miles. Ring turned, hooked port.
1995 XCR. First rebuild at 3600. Retaining clip came out, allowing wrist pin to float and destroy cylinder wall. Second rebuild at 4500 miles. Clutch bolt broke, allowing motor to over-rev and throw crank out of index. Third rebuild at 4900 miles. Oil pump adjusted to high, leading to starvation at full throttle. Fourth Rebuild at 6000 miles. (This is a good one) Nut for the air box ingested at WOT, leading to major engine damage.
2003 SKS. First rebuild at 2300 miles. Pick-up line in tank caught on gas guage, causing starvation at WOT and burndown. Second rebuild at 6800 miles. Crank broke on PTO end, taking out crank seal causing lean condition.
2007 Dragon. 3600 miles and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
that is not a true statement. I would be glad to show you the leakage on my 700 after 3800 miles, it shows only 4 percent leakage.[/b]
I don't think the problem is worn rings, but catostrophic engine failure.

·
4,440 Posts
I don't think the problem is worn rings, but catostrophic engine failure.[/b]
catostrophic failure?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That's my point Newfie. A motor isn't usually REBUILT at 2000 miles. Often though, they are/have been REPAIRED. Not due to a problem caused by wear, but by a failure of one kind or another. In my 35 years, I've burned my share of pistons, but barring those incidents, have never had an engine go down for any reason with less than 5000 miles on it.

·
4,440 Posts
engine going down from rings I doubt, unless it is really negected. that does not mean it does not need rings. I checked the leakage on a sled recently for a fellow. he said its good needs nothing,runs great. upon warming it up and doing the leakdown check, he found it did need rings they leaked 26 percent. yeah it ran but it will run better and like it should with rings. without checking the leakage he would not have done the rings, and it would have appeared not to have needed them.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
That's my point Newfie. A motor isn't usually REBUILT at 2000 miles. Often though, they are/have been REPAIRED. Not due to a problem caused by wear, but by a failure of one kind or another. In my 35 years, I've burned my share of pistons, but barring those incidents, have never had an engine go down for any reason with less than 5000 miles on it.[/b]
Yep, I agree 100%. With modern Nikasil lined cylinders, and toys that are only used 3-4 months a year, engine failure will almost always occur before wearing out a set of rings. If someone on E-bay is selling a sled and they're saying the motor was "redone", I'd suspect it wasn't for routine maintainence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts