Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was running fine all weekend ..didnt run it sunday..go to start it so i can move it for the storm tonight and it jsut wont start... yes the gas is on button up ect.. i pulled the plugs out and put em back in but it jsut wont turn over... ne idea....??? p.s. its a 96 xcr 440 if that means ne thing

·
Registered
343 Posts
well i had the same problem as you, my problem was my kill switch wires!! check them over to see if they are still in place! that's about all i can tell you, unless your gas lines are frozen!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You say it won't turn over, if that is the case take it to a competent mechanic. If it just will not start, pull a spark plug out and hold the base up to the engine, have someone pull recoil while you watch for spark. Replace plug (preferably with new ones), pull recoil a few times to get fuel to cylinder, pull spark plug out and look and sniff for gasoline. If you have spark and fuel, look at front of engine straight down below exhaust pipe y, there should be one or two 10 mm bolts about an inch from the bottom of engine case. Remove the bolts and watch for fuel to run out. Sometimes your crank case gets flooded and will not let the engine start, try these suggestions, then post back with the results.

RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
791 Posts
Good suggestion OMOTM my indy 500 once over night filled the crankcase with fuel and in the morning of the next day the thing was solid I thought I ceased it up. Then when I decided to check what you just said the 10mm drain plugs I found the thing to be filled with fuel preventing it from turning over. Good call. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been having the same problem with my 650...When I get it started it runs pretty good, but it's become progressively harder to start when the engine is cold (to the point of NOT starting now). I just drained the engine case like suggested above and a LOT of fuel came spilling out (probably 2 cups total for all 3 cylnders). I can't pull it right now to see if that gets it started (starter recoil off because I was going to check factory timing marks), but I am enthused that draining it will help it start...Does that seem like a lot of fuel draining from there?

Now, if that gets it started, what do I have to do to stop it from flooding like that?

A

·
0 Posts
Try dumping a bit of fuel in the cylinder to see if it will fire. That will tell you if your lines are frozen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are getting fuel in the crankcase the needle and seat in one or more of the carbs is leaking. Shut the gas off after you stop the sled. This should work untill it gets fixed...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bear with me, I'm a noob.....does that mean the fuel needle and seat in the float bowl?

·
Registered
93 Posts
IF YOU HAVE TO MUCH PLAY IN THE THROTTLE LEVER THERE IS A THROTTLE SAFETY SWITCH THERE, THAT WILL GROUND OUT YOUR COIL AND GIVE YOU NO SPARK, AND YOUR ENGINE WILL NOT START, IF THIS IS THE CASE ADJUST YOUR THROTTLE CABLE LINKAGE AT CARBS MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THEM EVENLY SO THE SLIDE IN CARBS GO UP AND DOWN AT THE SAME TIME WHILE YOUR DOING THAT CHECK YOUR OIL INJECTION ALIGNMENT MAKERS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE LINED UP AND TIGHTEN UP THAT THROTTLE LEVER THERE SHOULD BE ABOUT .050 GAP OR PLAY IN THE THROTTLE LEVER. :) THIS SHOULD GET YOU STARTED!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same prob with 00 ZRT 800,I would go out riding and at the end of the ride i would fill the gas tank for the next day.Only to get and find the crank full of gas,so i called the dealer and they told me to bring it in and they checked the carbs and said everything was fine.There answer to the problem was when i filled up on a nice warm day the tank would expand from the warmth and at night when it got cold the tank would shrink to its normal size and push the extra gas into the crank.Its happend twice to me and both times it was warm through the day and cold at night. Mabye my dealer is just @#$%ing with me so i stop calling them but now i just dont fill it to the top of the tank and it hasnt happend since.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
HEY ATTACK247, 3000qt DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU I AM A POLARIS MECHANIC AND ZRT 800'S ARE SETUP TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN POLARIS'S. CHECK FOR SPARK IF THERE IS NO SPARK, HOLD THE THROTTLE LEVER SHUT ALL THE WAY THEN HAVE A FRIEND TRY AND PULL AND SEE IF YOU HAVE SPARK THEN. IF YOU DO THEN ADJUST THE THROTTLE CABLES. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Indica, if you take the fuel bowl off the needle and seat is located above the float arm. Hard for me to explain but maby the Mikuni web site has a exploded view to see all the parts. Good luck!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts