Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out here we are -37 as we type this. I am sure all of us at one point has come accross some exceptionally cold days and wish there were something we could do to make our trips more enjoyable.

The first thing to get cold on me whenever the temperature drops is my neck. I have had various snowmobile jackets and none of them protect my neck very well. I have had various dickies (neck warmers) while they do help with warmth the wind seems to cut through them like a knife. I have seen leather ones out there but have yet to find one that fits me. (I know I know buy a taller windshield).

My answer ... plastic bags. Co-op, Wal-Mart, Quikie-Mart, it don't matter. I always cary extra bags with me. Usually whenever it gets below -20 i usually put my head in the bag and rip a hole through the other end of the bag poke my head through. Then I put my helmet on placing the chin strap underneath the bag to keep it in place. Tuck the rest in you jacket. Huge difference. I will gladly give up a few style points to keep warm.

Handle bar muffs. I bought a set of them on sale at the end of last year and only used them once before I decided I did not like them. They are too combersome when you are playing around on the sled. Having said that there is no way I would leave home without them on a cold day, and for trail riding they are fine. Probably the best $20 upgrade you can make to keep warm.

Hot shots, hot hands, (those little packets of artificial heat). They really do work for hours. Slip them in your mitts boots etc and you will be relieved. A friend of mine bought some last year in Hearst at a gas station -32 she could not feel her feet. Couple of hots shots and she never complained for the rest of the day. Carry some extra in your first aid / survival kit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Great tips!... Now I have just one question. My wife had to pee twice during a cold ride awhile back.. That did her in.. For women, the jacket has to come off and then the bibs have to be dropped..I really felt bad but there was nothing I could do for her.. Any females out there have any suggestions?....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am not putting a bag over my head for Anybody!....LOL (as a helmet liner will only cost ya 10.00) :undercover: If your going to be out there when its that cold you should invest in the proper gear. Its well worth it...for you and the people that wont find you like a ice sculpture on the side of trail. Always go equiped, better safe than sorry cuz you can always remove a layer if your too warm.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
my wife will not go in the woods, or an outhouse, its head to the neareast town with a heated washroom. :(

my buddy brought his daughter last year on a ride she is around 20yrs old. and she had no problem at all she just jumped off the sled walked into the bush did her thing and jumped back on the sled. :D

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
yes it was -40 on the temp gauge this morning with no relief in site they say..... which sucks when the wind comes up it gets darn cold...

Back in 05 when I was on winter roads going to Tadoule Lake now that was cold we had to go into Tadoule to see if they had fuel...... so Glen & myself jump on the sleds it was -55 with no wind down the virgin road we went it was not bad going to Tadoule... we only had to go about 75 k's cross river & creeks...did you know there is more moving water in the north then in the south I mean open water...

we ran into a few timber wolfs along the way dinning on a caribou they did not move till we where almost right on top of them...we arrived in Tadoule save & sound ...I was warm we had heated handle bars heat visor....we found out they had fuel for the Equipment when we got there....so we visited for a bit then left...sun set...

well as you know when you that far north the sun does go down early around 3:30 so it was dark...well the temp was dropping down even more the heated visor could not keep up it started fogging up so I had to open it man that was sooooo cold by the time we got back to camp the temp was down to -60 on the temp gauge out side the door.... my one eye was frost bitten shut and the other one was not to far away...plus I guess I had a piece of skin exposed on my throat I had a golf ball size lump on it frost bit...I looked like I lost the boxing match..

that was the coldest I have ever been in on winter roads...needless to say the equipment was plug in and did not start the next day so we stayed in and I lick my wounds.... w00t

I also have been stuck out on the Tundra for 36 hours in a white out that's another story for another day..

Rick

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
yes it was -40 on the temp gauge this morning with no relief in site they say..... which sucks when the wind comes up it gets darn cold...

Back in 05 when I was on winter roads going to Tadoule Lake now that was cold we had to go into Tadoule to see if they had fuel...... so Glen & myself jump on the sleds it was -55 with no wind down the virgin road we went it was not bad going to Tadoule... we only had to go about 75 k's cross river & creeks...did you know there is more moving water in the north then in the south I mean open water...

we ran into a few timber wolfs along the way dinning on a caribou they did not move till we where almost right on top of them...we arrived in Tadoule save & sound ...I was warm we had heated handle bars heat visor....we found out they had fuel for the Equipment when we got there....so we visited for a bit then left...sun set...

well as you know when you that far north the sun does go down early around 3:30 so it was dark...well the temp was dropping down even more the heated visor could not keep up it started fogging up so I had to open it man that was sooooo cold by the time we got back to camp the temp was down to -60 on the temp gauge out side the door.... my one eye was frost bitten shut and the other one was not to far away...plus I guess I had a piece of skin exposed on my throat I had a golf ball size lump on it frost bit...I looked like I lost the boxing match..

that was the coldest I have ever been in on winter roads...needless to say the equipment was plug in and did not start the next day so we stayed in and I lick my wounds.... w00t

I also have been stuck out on the Tundra for 36 hours in a white out that's another story for another day..
Rick[/b]

wow RICK you are what i call a diehard sledder :rolleyes: there is no way i would be going anywere in those temps .

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
died... we could have but the only reason we went to Tadoule Lake is we had to know if they had fuel and if they did not have fuel for us to buy..... we had enough to go back to Lynn Lake which would have taken us days to do...

in other words we miss calculated on are fuel yep it was a big screw up... :withstupid:

ha ha you wife & my wife must be sisters.... :lmao:

Rick

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Drop Bibs.......They make all kinds for woman.. The coat does not have to come off and it's easy.

Now trapsing through the snow to find a hiding place while riding with a bunch of people is a different story. LOL

This is me on the SW ride coming out of hiding... :lmao:

Snow4
[attachment=33200:natures_outhouse.jpg]

·
Registered
335 Posts
They need a zipper in the BACK for women... then one of those LadyJ adapter things that's really no more than a funnel, so women can pee standing up. I fear if I rigged something up like that for her, she'd be pissed (pardon the pun)..

·
Registered
795 Posts
When we did a trip around Algonquin Park, every day was -45. We stayed at a hotel in Whitney, they told us to go have something to eat & they will go turn up the heat. More like turn on the heat. The room didn't get any warmer then 5c. The shower was hot but when the water hit the bathroom floor it was starting to freeze.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The hand muffs on the handler bars are great. At -35+ it's hard to get by without them. Many guys I have taken on some snowmobile adventures across nothern Ont usually stop after the first day and pick a pair up. You can fold them back on the bars till you need them.

You have to check each other for any exposed skin. Fix the problem immediately before the skin freezes and damage occurs. If you carry Vaseline you can apply on the affected area and it acts as a barrier. I always find peoples visors leak and you get some frost bite near the corner of the eye.

Wearing Poypro underwear which doesn't absorb moisture then layer with Fleece makes a huge difference.

RR

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great tips!... Now I have just one question. My wife had to pee twice during a cold ride awhile back.. That did her in.. For women, the jacket has to come off and then the bibs have to be dropped..I really felt bad but there was nothing I could do for her.. Any females out there have any suggestions?....[/b]
http://www.tjhunters.com/features.html

My female cousin told me about these.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wow, some crazy stories. Forces reality to set in for us snowmobilers: winter is cold, lol. It was less than 3 years ago, I thought snowmobiling was crazy. Now I'm trying to limit myself by monitoring how many tanks of gas I burn, just so I don't blow my budget completely, lol.

I have to say, sometimes it's nice to be in warm Newfoundland. This year is the first year I have seen temperatures hit -19*C more than once in the same winter since I was in the last half of grade 10, which was 9 years ago, lol. Other than windchill, I seldom see temperatures get as cold as -15*C. This year has been one of the coldest. Which doesn't explain our warm weekend in +6*C and rain... but at least there's enough snow down that everything is not only trying to freeze, but it wouldn't take much snow to get the season back in full force. Like I said in my posts earlier this year (more than once) we get extreme cold temperatures followed by extreme warm temperatures within the same week, every week. Sucks really, because one week when you don't make plans the snow is perfect, and the next week when you decide to make plans, there's no snow. Great.

I have hand guards on order for my hands (Duh!). I wear large winter leather gloves, combined with hand warmers (come standard on all snowmobiles, lol) and I stay warm. However, hit 60mph with a windchill of -32*C, and although your palms are sweating, the back of your hands are freezing. I'm hoping the hand guards will help spread the air better, as the reason for the back of my hands getting cold is the fact that the Fusion's windshield does nothing for them. They're just stuck out there catching all the freezing air, lol. So hopefully hand guards will help somewhat, and although I'll be giving the Fusion "ears" at least I've done SOMETHING to accessorize my sled, lol.

I totally forgot that woman have to pee too... what was I thinking? Make no wonder there seem to be more men in the sport, lol.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Drop Bibs.......They make all kinds for woman.. The coat does not have to come off and it's easy.
[attachment=33200:natures_outhouse.jpg][/b]
THat's what I was going to say. I can't believe they even make wonens bibs that don't have a drop seat.
Either that or get the the snow cross style pants that don't have shoulder straps. I can't imagine having to take my coat off just to take a leak.

Then again I can't imagine having to go to town to take a leak either, or riding with anyone who had to do that. Buy her some Depends, or tell her she has to get over it or stay home. What a way to ruin a day.

As for being cold, the plastic bags are a great idea. You can also get a balaclava made by Unwind that is wind proof. That's what I wear any time the temp is below -15 or so.
As far as the muffs go, I think they're a good idea, but I can't use them. Too cumbersome. Can't do it. I wear my Reima gloves, and if they're not enough I have a pair of three fingered mitts (thumb, and then two fingers together) that work great. Much warmer then gloves, and much less cumbersome then regular mittens.

Other then that my best advice for cold weather is to avoid the high speed stuff. Stiff to slower, rougher trails and drive hard. Keeps the blood flowing.

Pepsi-fuzz, I remember the last time I was home in Nfld sledding hearing people talk on a monday about how they were NEVER going sledding when it was as cold out as it had been that weekend. The temps had got all the way down to -15. I couldn't believe it. After having spent a couple of years sledding in Ontario I knew that the only thing you have to do for cold weather is dress for it. I think -15 is the ideal temp for sledding, and even days like today which was -24 here in North Bay aren't bad at all.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Pepsi-fuzz, I remember the last time I was home in Nfld sledding hearing people talk on a monday about how they were NEVER going sledding when it was as cold out as it had been that weekend. The temps had got all the way down to -15. I couldn't believe it. After having spent a couple of years sledding in Ontario I knew that the only thing you have to do for cold weather is dress for it. I think -15 is the ideal temp for sledding, and even days like today which was -24 here in North Bay aren't bad at all.[/b]
I know, Newfies are so spoiled, aren't we? lol. I too agree, -15*C is the perfect riding temperature. The machine stays completely predictable, and so does the conditions of the ride. Any warmer, and you're limited to how much fun you can have on the snow. As I said, this year, the weather dips bellow -15*C frequently. Which could explain why I'm seeing half as many people out this year... I never thought of that, lol. Oh, they are enforcing the trail passes here now, as well. Some people have been caught, but I don't know what they were stuck paying? I should have asked more questions. I've yet to get asked questions or see any stops on the go this year at all. Then again, I'm not in town often either, I'm usually out playing somewhere. :D

PS, ya must have been talking to younger folk? 'Cause ppl like my dad are still He!! bent on talking about the old days when the temperature was so cold, your pee would freeze before it hit the snow, lol. (I'm exagerating here, lol)

·
Registered
657 Posts
When we did a trip around Algonquin Park, every day was -45. We stayed at a hotel in Whitney, they told us to go have something to eat & they will go turn up the heat. More like turn on the heat. The room didn't get any warmer then 5c. The shower was hot but when the water hit the bathroom floor it was starting to freeze.[/b]
I'm sure you meant the floor started to feel as if it were freezing. The freezing point of water is 0*C, which is what Celsius is based on. Unlike Farenheit, which is based on the freezing point of blood. For us snowmobilers, it makes more sense to talk about the freezing point of water, does it not? lol. Then again, the room may have been 5C, but the water could have been colder, lol.

·
Registered
293 Posts
First of all..I know alot of you guys look really cool with barely no windshield ( Rev,s...New Phazers ) but without any protection your going to freeze..I was riding with a couple of buddies ( Crossfire 700 , V max-4 ) at -27 this past weekend ...I was nice and warm behind my Venture GT windshield ( as they would call it old mans sled ), and they froze there ##### off with there COOL looking super low windshields...I got the last laugh..It was even sweeter at fill up time when they were on empty and I still had half a tank......

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's been so long since I've been on a sled with a tall windshield I can't even remember what it's like.
But you're right, the Venture is an old man's sled. :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
657 Posts
:lmao: Yeah, but he does have a point there. Then again, the Fusion's windshield works better at protecting you than the XC/SP my brother has (aside the problem with your hands being exposed).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts