Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put J Hooks on a 98 MXZ are the wires for the heated grips going to be in the way when i cut the hole in the end of the bar? Thanks for the answers in advance

Bill :thumbsup:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yup!

You'll either have to re-wire them, or route out a groove in the hooks to allow them to slip in with the wires.

·
Registered
261 Posts
ACTUALLY just slide the old grips off and unhook the heater wires under the hood , then pull the heaters off the bars and turn them around and wire them back in to the harness then put your grips back on

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I just installed J hooks for a friend on a 2002 mxz 800 renegade. There was no wires in side the bars contrary to popular belief. all we had to doo was drill out the outside rivout holding the 440 racing grips on. Then cut the ends a little bit to fit the j hooks in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GHOSTRIDER how did you get the grips off. Mine have been on for at least 4 years. Just want to know if there is any trick to it.

Bill

·
Registered
935 Posts
2002 800's are wired differently from older sleds. Mine is a 01' 800 and the wires come around the end of the bar. I was told the grips have to be cut off and rewired to come along the handle bar in oder for the hooks to fit. I wanted the same hooks as the Renegade but it is sort of pain to install. I do Like the groove idea though, but i question if the structural strength of the the plastic if it is altered to fit. Will it crack as the screw is turned to tighten inside the grip? Will it crack over time? Just a couple of thoughts.

Do the Doo :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts