Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does one of these put out for horsepower??  It's a 98'  How about front and rear suspension??  Is it the same suspension that Arctic Cat used for the ZR or ZL that year??  Good or Bad sled???  Will it keep up with the Cat 440 Liquid??

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it has one carb its about 42 hp and if two carbs its 50 hp.   They changed the number of carbs on the engine a couple times over the years.   The 440 fan regardless of the number of carbs is a durable engine.   I prefer two carbs though as its easier to tune the cylinders independantly if needed, and it has a little more zip.   It will not keep up with the ZL 440 liquid which is 68 hp.   The ZL 440 engine has been around for years in various models and is also dependable.   I don't remember the suspension on that model year Jag, but it should be decent, although it doesn't have quite the same skis as the ZL or ZR.   If you want a reliable sled, you enjoy seeing some of the scenery while you ride, and you don't have to beat your friends, I think you'll like it.   If you like more power and want to spend more money, then I would look to the ZL 440 or something with more power than a Jag.

·
Registered
442 Posts
if your looking for a ZL 440 i would find a 97 because those things will walk away from a 98-00 ZL 440 they changed the pipe and it is still rated at the same horsepower but the zip just isn't there the 97 has more mid range power and better top end and in my oppinion is more fun to ride than the newer ZL 440's  i had a 97 and my dad had a 2000 so i know what i am talking about

i dont know how cat could have wrecked that motor because my 97 was happiest at engaging at about 4000 and i could easily take the 2000 with a 4500 rpm engagement and lower gears off the start and continue to pull away

they messed it up bad because the main jets on that 97 were 310's and the 2000 has 250's with the same carbs and when cruising down the trail doing about 70-80 the 2000 had to have the throttle to the handlebar just to maintain that speed (and it was running right too) when we gassed up next the 2000 took two more gallons of gas than the 97 did i dont know how they could mess up a sled like that it makes you wonder why cat discontinued that motor

1 - 3 of 3 Posts