Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi snowmobile Gurus.Im trying to ressurect my neglected jag.Its a 79 3000fc with a 340 Suzuki engina. just 571 miles on it.After cleaning the sludge out of carb and tank,Its runs fine but my clutch is frozen.Its not really corroded or in nasty shape,spider mechanism is just stuck to the shaft,tried penetrating oils,whacked with a rubber mallet,warmed it up a bit with the blue wrench,still stuck.Question is Can I remove the outer housing simply removing the three bolts without having the spring cause any issues.Thanks very much for your time to read this,Let me know what to do so I can make a young kid happy.Thanks,Scott K Hillsboro,NH

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hi snowmobile Gurus.Im trying to ressurect my neglected jag.Its a 79 3000fc with a 340 Suzuki engina. just 571 miles on it.After cleaning the sludge out of carb and tank,Its runs fine but my clutch is frozen.Its not really corroded or in nasty shape,spider mechanism is just stuck to the shaft,tried penetrating oils,whacked with a rubber mallet,warmed it up a bit with the blue wrench,still stuck.Question is Can I remove the outer housing simply removing the three bolts without having the spring cause any issues.Thanks very much for your time to read this,Let me know what to do so I can make a young kid happy.Thanks,Scott K Hillsboro,NH[/b]
The spider isn't stuck, it's bolted to the shaft, only the arms move. Is the clutch off the machine? If it is you can stand on the movable half and it should move up and down. If you apply lots of pressure or stand on it, you can undo the three bolts and carefully let it move up until the spring pressure is off and the cover can be lifted off.
[attachment=41959:hex_clutch.gif]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spider isn't stuck, it's bolted to the shaft, only the arms move. Is the clutch off the machine? If it is you can stand on the movable half and it should move up and down. If you apply lots of pressure or stand on it, you can undo the three bolts and carefully let it move up until the spring pressure is off and the cover can be lifted off.
[attachment=41959:hex_clutch.gif][/b]
The clutch is still on the machine.Can I remove it with out a puller,Is the nut a right hand thread?Thanks Scott K

·
Registered
49 Posts
You could take the y-pipe off then carefully insert a piece of wood in the outlet side below the piston to stop the motor then get the clutch off

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The clutch is still on the machine.Can I remove it with out a puller,Is the nut a right hand thread?Thanks Scott K[/b]
The bolt is normal thread (counter clockwise to undo) but you still need a puller. I wrap a strap around the clutch to keep it from turning when you try to remove it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolt is normal thread (counter clockwise to undo) but you still need a puller. I wrap a strap around the clutch to keep it from turning when you try to remove it.[/b]
Thanks for your time.I will try to free it up today.I dont have a puller,will try to borrow one thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to free up the clutch in an unorthodox fashion without doing harm to the machine.I used a bar clamp with rubber padded jaws,the kind you squeeze a pistol grip to tighten.I just sprayed the hex shaft with liquid wrench,put the clamp on across the fixed and moveable sides and squeezed it as tight as I could.It didnt move at all but while it was under pressure from the clamp,I whacked it repeatedly with a rubber mallet.It would move inward about .05 a whack.I just kept tightening the clamp and whacking it with the rubber mallet until I had it fully compressed.Then I had access to the hex shaft which was pretty rusty.Wire brush and W-D40 took care of that.When I removed the clamp it stayed stuck in the fully closed position,I had to whack it with the rubber mallet to get it to pop back open.I rotated the engine 180 degrees and repeated the process so I could clean the rest of the crud off of the hex shaft.When I removed the clamp it slid right back to the open position Sweet!!.Took it out to ride around my land for a half hour,worked excellent!New belt is on the way.I learned a tough lesson.I wont neglect doing the proper maintenance when I put it away after the snows gone.I had to pull the carb 3 x to clean the frigging minute particles of goo that were in the fuel system due to a few years of neglect.I forgot how much fun these sleds are.Thanks for your time.Scott K[attachment=42005:sled_001.jpg]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts