Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of putting twin pipes on my 02 Summit 800x to get a few more ponies and shed some pounds. I heard Jaws pipes work really well for Artic Craps but how do they work on Ski-doos. Any other pipe experience will help. My local speed shop says he can recalibrate my Dpm so i can still use it with the pipes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The jaws I've seen need to run over the rev limit of your 800, most dealers programmers cannot remove the limit and can only advance or retard the timing a little bit. They are more of a lake pipe than a mt or trail pipe, unless they have changed or have a different pipe? I would call Jaws, crankshop, and cpi and ask "what rpm's should I clutch for", as if you already had thier pipes, don't let on that you are shopping, pick the low rpms. Then weigh in fitment, twins are tight in the zx. Do not believe anyones hp claims.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have sold & used many sets of Jaws pipes. He was building ski-doo pipes before he built cat pipes. I would call him (Greg) he has never lied to me. :hallo1:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
aSK zmACHmAN AS HE HAS DONE EXTENSIVE TESTING WITH THE JAWS,AND MANY OTHER BRANDS. i BELIEVE HE AGREED WITH MOST OTHER THAT jAWS JUST RAISE THE OPERATING RPM TO MAKE MORE pONIES AND THAT THEY HAVE A NARROW POWERBAND TO CLUTCH FOR. NOT BAD FOR THE LAKE OR DRAGS BUT BAD FOR THE TRAILS.
cALEB

·
Registered
756 Posts
I disagree, IMO Jaws builds the best mach z pipes for sure. I have built 4 different ones Jaws pipes rock on a mach. :hallo1:
On the other hand i also have tried a few sets of crank shop pipes with no great results at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't like the wise crack about the Arctic Crap, but I guess I'm used to it as I'm sure every other brand faithful is. I had jaws pipes last year on a 99 ZR 700 that had a 141" track. To make it simple I got rid of them. Those guys although nice on the phone, had no clue of how to set up a sled for mountain riding. I think their experience is with a big snow bank at 200 feet elevation. Absolutely not even close to anything anyone in the mountains could run. The pipes had a very very narrow powerband, and were lounder than hell. They also fit terribly, the stingers had no mounting bracket, and were constantly being pushed by snow back up into the bellypan.

I would look elsewhere, unless maybe you just drag race. Just my $.02 that cost me a lot more!

·
Registered
101 Posts
buddy run Jaws pipes on a 2000 Summit 700 last year, and he had the prob with it hitting the rev limiter, the fitment was not very good.
imo i would go with crankshop before jaws

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 97 mxz, went to the jaws pipes as i race snocross here in sd, Love the pipes and i can keep the clutch set to keep the rpms down below 8,000 and still make 150+hp i can pull her nose up till she hits 70 mph. if you want a pipe you dont have to have warm, or want to deal with detonation these are the pipes for you. JAWS will make the pipes for your custom application or for a specific rpm, heat, clutch setting. all you have to do is ask. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had 4 skidoos with jaws pipes they were great ON PRE DPM sleds almost all twin pipes
will bring up your rpm to your rev limiter. We have had 10 brands of pipes on the dyno not one
set made any real world power gains until you ported and had head work done .
The most power to be had was in porting and head work where we are getting 150-155 hp
with the stock pipe and stinger.
Dont waste money on pipes and expect huge hp. :hallo1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts