Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wondering if someone could give me a description on how to take apart the lower partof the carburetor to install main jets and pilots.. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't seen the newer set ups like yours, but if it is similar to my 98 XC600 it shouldn't be too bad. Locate the fuel shut off on the oil tank and turn it to the off position. Remove the spark plug wires, and the rubber bungy cords holding the air box in. Should be one big one in front a couple of inches down from the top, and two more little ones on the very top aft lid of the air box. Then disconnect two small (1/8") nylon air lines going to the front of the box and lift the whole air box assembly out. Now find the large hose clamps around the fwd base of the carbs. A really long shank flat screwdriver works best getting these loosened up as you can just stick it in there and have the handle out the top to turn easy. Loosen up the clamps and grap the carb and twist and gently pull each one out of the transfer rubber hose going to the engine. You can leave the cables attached if all you want to do is access the fuel bowl and jets. There should be a short fuel hose on the bottom with a blue plastic plug inserted in the bottom, squeeze the clamp and move it off the plug and twist and pull it out. This is your low point water collection point. Gas and any water trapped inside will come out so have a cup handy to drain it into. After its drained there are phillips head screws on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Remove these and pull the bowl off. Keep in mind that there will be a float assy that is going to drop down when you remove the bowl and a hinge pin that will fall out if you are not holding it flat and upright. First time I did this it fell out and went into "never-never land" and had to fish it out!!! The main jet will be a little brass long hex shaped piece. Use either the proper sized wrench (5/16"?) or a small adjustable wrench snugly fitted and it should be just snug on there. Unthread that and there you go!!! Now, reassembly is pretty much the reverse of all that I wrote above except when you put the air box back in, if you can not get the carbs properly lined up with the gasket base of the air box, you may have to seperate the top half of the air box by pushing in the mounting tabs around the top (they can be quite tuff to get open and require some force) and pulling the lid off, now remove the baffle plates and you will be able to get your hands down inside and line up the carbs into the gaskets properly. Just pay particular attention to how everything comes apart so that you can get it all back together properly. Make sure all of those little hose clamps get re-positioned properly - especially the fuel lines! After your done, get the engine running and look real good with a light to make sure there are no leaks from any of the fuel lines. Don't forget that the fuel shut off valve is on the oil tank. Hopefully yours is set up like mine and these steps will make sense. Good luck!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts