Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone figured out the problem with lean midrange(6-7000rpm)???   I run my 800 , dynoportpipe with 390s main. 300km hard trailriding no problems. Then I vent for some calm trailriding(6-7000rpm) , It siezed after a few  km.I have a 20 pilot and fuelsrew at 3 turns out.With stockpipe and restr. 410 seems to rich.still 20 pilots

·
Registered
142 Posts
Where do you run your needles at.  With the shim above or below the clip?

·
Registered
172 Posts
this isn't a idle circuit problem, it is a midrange prob, so the air/idle screw should have any effect. i am guessing that "calm" trail riding was that done at about half throttle, so you will have to lift your needles and see if that helps(put the clip right on the bottom, go rich and lean out from there).  if that doesn't richen it up enough, you will have to go with a richer needle jet and go from there.     seeing as how you jetted the sled at WOT, i am guessing that you probably know how to read plugs, for the mid-range, you just ride it at half throttle for about 1/2 to 1 klm, shut the sled off while still on the throttle, and check the plugs when you stop.     have em running kinda rich(mid to dark brown), then you atleast have a little bit of extra protection on colder days

·
Registered
556 Posts
You guys must have thought he had an 02 800, he has an 01 800. The answer to your question is yes someone has figured out the lean spot on the 01's in the 6 to 7 thousand rpm range. Your pilot is fine and your fuel screw is fine where you have it. Damon from GLH RACING can hook you up, his number is 716-373-4775 he enginered his own needle to compensate for the lean spot. just a little advice, remove the restrictor if you going to be lake racing it is good for short drags but creates to much heat for wot.

·
Registered
142 Posts
He is running to lean for a dynoport pipe on the mains.  I run 470s without a filter then when the temp drops I add the filter.  With porting, stock pipe and restricter I run 440s again with out the filter unless it is really cold.  I could run it leaner but where I go riding sometimes they only have 87 octane.  For the needle I have a smaller shim under it.  I would have to go and look it up, it is from yamaha.  I found by taking out the shim that I was to lean in the midrange and putting the smaller one in helped (With the stock pipe). I could run the dynoport with this shim but had to be very careful of watching my midrange temps creeping up.  For my pilots I still run the 17.5 without a problem.  Egt guages were one of the best investments that I made.

·
Registered
556 Posts
XOTAR who did your port work and what rpm are you running at. I was told by a reliable source that running the restrictor on a ported motor with the stock pipe would cause a meltdown just like what happend to rst8. Also what difference if any did you see when you put the restrictor in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts