Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you jet your sled??  i know there are things such as vairflow and stuff, which i will prob get, but how do you jet it yourself to -20*F??  will the dealer do that for me, so the variflow i can adjust manually on the steering column??

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sledcrazy,

Jetting is an exact science - It will requires alot of your time to learn. But the end result will be better performance and more enjoyable ridding.

Here's a few tips.

Follow this link to the BEST arcticle on jetting I have ever read.
http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/baseline/baseline.html

Read it, Study it, memorize it, memorize it backwards, dream it, live it, understand it.

Establish a baseline jetting for 1 specific ridding temp and air density - then use a jet correction chart to adjust for changes in above mentined temp and air density.

Carbs have 5 stages to jet; Pilot circuit, Cut-away, Jet needle,needle jet, and Main stage - you have to be familiar with all stages to be able to jet you carbs.

you need to buy tools for the job - you will need the Uni-Syn carb sync tool "Model A"
You will need An air density meter and proper ambiant temperature thermometer.

You will need to study Piston wash and plug reading articles and study them profusely. Or else BURNDOWN.

Learn the "ride and feel" method and the "increase in RPM" method to sync your pilot circuit.

Common myth - Jetting is changing your main hex. This is not true. the Main hex is simply for 3/4 to WOT

More facts you need to know:

1.  Jetting your sled should be done a 1 and only 1 engine temp. Changes in engine temp will throw off your testing. this factor need to stay constant.
2.  jetting needs to be tested on actual ridding tests, You cannot "bench" jet your sled with no load.
3.  Carb syncronization is the key to low end power and acceleration.
4.  Start rich on all your circuits when re-jetting your sled, that way you can jet down safely
5.  the Hotlmam jet correction factors work - use them

There are several good articles written by Eric Gorr that will help you understand combustion.
Follw this link - http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticles/techarticles.html

read every arcticle and study them - HE is a master at jetting.

Once you understand the priciples of combustion, the operation of Mikuni carbs, and the factors affecting combustion, you will be able to jet anything properly.

If you need specific help with one perticular model, email me at [email protected]

Hope this helps - good luck

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Holy ####!!!!!!! I knew someone would be able to give him some good info, better explained than I was doing but this takes the cake man. Thanks for the useful info. Keep it coming.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Great articles madsledhead this information is goign to come in really handy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks madsledhead, i had to read it a couple times, but i understand it more know.   thanks a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts