Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what size the carb is for a trailfire 340? i need to order a rebuild kit but i'm unsure of what size it is.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
wait till someone else posts just to make sure

you can also try to pm thumb doctor, he might know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like there is a universal rebuilt kit for the vm 30-34's[/b]

i went ahead and ordered it. i'll take my chance. too anxious to get this thing going. we already have 1 trailfire and we found this one on ebay. it has electric start on it. the only bad thing was that it had been setting for 10 years. the fuel tank and carb are all gumbed up. i can't tell yet if the crank seals are shot but i'll wait to order them after i get it fired up.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
good luck. I checked in my manual last night and it also said that it uses vm-34's. Have you checked the psi in each cylinder? Are you doing a restoration on it or just gonna get it running and have fun with it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good luck. I checked in my manual last night and it also said that it uses vm-34's. Have you checked the psi in each cylinder? Are you doing a restoration on it or just gonna get it running and have fun with it?[/b]
not planning on restoring it. i'm just using it for fun. i had it running today but after it got warmed up it just lost all its power. i checked the crank seals and they are fine. i'm going to put it back together and check to make sure that the clutch is working ok. do you happen to know how you get the keys back in place for the ring gear that goes around the flywheel? the gear that i'm talking about is the one for the electric start. it looks like i'm going to have to take the side of the case off to get the pins in place on the gear before i slide the flywheel back on.
and yes, i checked the compression. both cylinders were right at 150 i believe it was.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
um, mine doesnt have electric start.

When it lost power what happened? Did it sound like it ran out of gas, did it just all of a sudden shut off? My guess is either fuel pump or crank seals. I think you have to do more than just look at the seals. You have to get it started then spray some wd-40, carb cleaner, starting fluid..etc inbetween the clutch and motor around where the seal is. If the engine revs up you need a new gasket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
um, mine doesnt have electric start.

When it lost power what happened? Did it sound like it ran out of gas, did it just all of a sudden shut off? My guess is either fuel pump or crank seals. I think you have to do more than just look at the seals. You have to get it started then spray some wd-40, carb cleaner, starting fluid..etc inbetween the clutch and motor around where the seal is. If the engine revs up you need a new gasket.[/b]
it never did die. it will sit there and idle just fine but when i would take off it felt like something was just holding it back. i got it to a slight incline and then all of a sudden it took off fine. then when i shut it off i couldn't get it to start again.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
im pretty sure thats the carb needing adjusted. the starting thing, not sure. Maybe when you tipped it you lost the gas in the lines. if thats the case just prime it until you see the gas back in adn prime it like 3 to 5 times, should start up. Another idea. Right now my sled is running so rich that when i turn it off, to start it back up i MUST clean the spark plugs. That could be the case also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im pretty sure thats the carb needing adjusted. the starting thing, not sure. Maybe when you tipped it you lost the gas in the lines. if thats the case just prime it until you see the gas back in adn prime it like 3 to 5 times, should start up. Another idea. Right now my sled is running so rich that when i turn it off, to start it back up i MUST clean the spark plugs. That could be the case also.[/b]
i never tipped it. where did you see that at? what would you suggest on tuning the carb? how many turns out does the air screw need to me? would the needle seat being to big cause a problem? the needle seat that i got with the rebuild kit was quite a bit bigger than the one that came out of it. i didn't think this would cause a problem because the needle will still shut off the fuel when the floats raise, it will just fill it up quicker with it being bigger. do you know anything about how the electric starts work. i'll probably have to buy a service manual to see how to get it back together.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
"i got it to a slight incline and then all of a sudden it took off fine"

im not sure on the exact carb specs, someone else on here should have them. I know mine is turn the air screw all the way in and then i belive 2 1/2 turns out and start there. Im not sure about the bigger needle seat. I thinkit may effect it, not sure. I hate to say this but if you want more help go sign into dootalk, post in the vintage forum section, they have a ton of people there now, and very knowledgeable about older sleds. The vintage section is slow here right now.

Ill check in my manual tonight to see if i can find any info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"i got it to a slight incline and then all of a sudden it took off fine"

im not sure on the exact carb specs, someone else on here should have them. I know mine is turn the air screw all the way in and then i belive 2 1/2 turns out and start there. Im not sure about the bigger needle seat. I thinkit may effect it, not sure. I hate to say this but if you want more help go sign into dootalk, post in the vintage forum section, they have a ton of people there now, and very knowledgeable about older sleds. The vintage section is slow here right now.

Ill check in my manual tonight to see if i can find any info.[/b]

it stayed running though when i went down the incline. it just seemed like that once it wasn't pulling all the weight it took off ok. i know the needle seat was almost twice the size as the one that came out of it. i'll check out the other site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts