Snowmobile World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 1976 john deere liquifire 440.. I have never raced excpet with friends who all have newer sleds so i get dominated. I was wondering what are some things to make the john deere race worthy. What are some mods i could do without putting a huge hole in the wallet.
'

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I've got two John Deere's. One is an 81 Trailfire 440, and the other is a 80 trailfire 440 (parts sled). They were a lot of fun to ride back then.

Good luck though..

·
Registered
354 Posts
First get the carbs cleaned, also get it clutched, and look into to see if the make pipes for it, it is a two cylinder right? how does the track look? i don't know how much you want to put into it let alone if there is even any market for deeres anymore, but if you can find a good track with studs thats a plus.... the suspension probably has seen its days too, take it off and rebuild it if you can't find a suspension that will fit in there, get you more ride height, the luquifire probably sits real low, and the suspension is probably worn out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i`d have to say if there in good to very good shape ya might get some bucks for em on ebay. if you dont want to get dominated thats the way to go. sell em take that money and a couple of grand more and just lose by abit....really though, enjoy those sleds for what they are. my first sleeding x per ee nc was on a deer, that was 16 years ago, i`m still a little sore from it. i gotta laugh, i literally was so sore i couldnt get out of bed for two days....anyways , heed my advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i`d have to say if there in good to very good shape ya might get some bucks for em on ebay. if you dont want to get dominated thats the way to go. sell em take that money and a couple of grand more and just lose by abit....really though, enjoy those sleds for what they are. my first sleeding x per ee nc was on a deer, that was 16 years ago, i`m still a little sore from it. i gotta laugh, i literally was so sore i couldnt get out of bed for two days....anyways , heed my advice.[/b]

Yes it is 2 cylinder and the track is good and has cleats on it. I was also wondering if it was possible to put carbs from a newer john deere on it and make it oil injected. The suspension is definetly veeeery stiff. I also recently have been having an issue with the drivetrain.. The motor seems like it has no weight on it. I have to almost handle bar it to get it to move and it loses power bad in the snow. There was also a knocking sound directly under where i sit. Any ideas on what is caeusing this???????
DO you have any ideas where i could find a better clutch for this. And is there any ideas on a new suspension that would give me more ride height???

thanks for the help

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'd imagine that carbs from a newer deere would be adequate, have to check the size and everything, a dealer would probablybe able to help you out..... i don't know what your problem is that you are loosing power in the snow...... the knocking sound is usually from the track hitting something in the tunnel, if you feel up to taking the whole rear end out from under it, get the suspension cleaned up and see if it is still salvageable for reusage..... b/c i have no knowledge with the older sleds like that and what is still available, b/c i know that sleds can accomodate different suspensions, you just have to look into it, and it might take some physical modifications for it to work. I'm sure any clutch kit would work on the deere, check denniskirk.com for everything i just told you, check on the carbs, check suspension *(rebuild kits)* tracks with picks, and they will show clutches, i'm pretty sure they go back that old...... DK has good deals too.

hope that helps.

www.denniskirk.com

Go to top of page and look for teh snowmobile bar and that scrolls down search for drivetrain, and go on from there. heres the only clutch kits they have for it

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prod...&mmyId=9567

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If the clutch is a Comet, you should be able to try different springs & flyweights.

As for the oil injection, unless the sled originally had it & the pump was removed & blocked off, I don't think you can retrofit it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have to agree w/ ballsout1. Sell the sled & save some money and get a newer sled, especially 1 w/ IFS. You'll enjoy the handling improvement.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ok for one, let the guy do what he wants to the sled, its fun putting some money into a vintage and making it something, its trial and error, not many people out there are looking at 76 deeres anyways..... i have two decent sleds (irrelavent) and they are both worth putting money into, and i don't know much about John but putting some money into it would be too bad..... give it a try and see what happens... you wouldn't get beans for selling that.... hold on to it and do the basics to make it run smooth, carbs, gasket set, that whole thing...... if you want me to help you work on the sled id be happy to help you with any more questions..... that ####er will smoke any srx ;) :eek:hmy: totally kidding......

Just some thoughts man.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok for one, let the guy do what he wants to the sled, its fun putting some money into a vintage and making it something, its trial and error, not many people out there are looking at 76 deeres anyways..... i have two decent sleds (irrelavent) and they are both worth putting money into, and i don't know much about John but putting some money into it would be too bad..... give it a try and see what happens... you wouldn't get beans for selling that.... hold on to it and do the basics to make it run smooth, carbs, gasket set, that whole thing...... if you want me to help you work on the sled id be happy to help you with any more questions..... that ####er will smoke any srx ;) :eek:hmy: totally kidding......

Just some thoughts man.[/b]
I beleive i have found the problem with it not moving in the snow. I think the front sprockets are missing teeth or worn down so they spin but cant move the track. Also i think the seld has plenty of tope end.. 85 mph + last year but it lags the accelration i would want. Would adjusting the clutch and weights help to solve this..? if so how do i go about doing that.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Fix the drive axle sprockets 1st. Or check the track tension. It may be loose & cusing the sprockets to "ratchet". That may be all you have to do.

BTW, what kind of sleds (cc or HP) are "dominating" you? 583 Mach 1s were around 95-100 HP. Even a low performance 600 is @ least 100 HP & newer 600s are up to 120 HP. I have no idea what a JD 440 is rated @ but it's probably not close. I think the '95 MXZ 440 was rated around 90 HP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fix the drive axle sprockets 1st. Or check the track tension. It may be loose & cusing the sprockets to "ratchet". That may be all you have to do.

BTW, what kind of sleds (cc or HP) are "dominating" you? 583 Mach 1s were around 95-100 HP. Even a low performance 600 is @ least 100 HP & newer 600s are up to 120 HP. I have no idea what a JD 440 is rated @ but it's probably not close. I think the '95 MXZ 440 was rated around 90 HP.[/b]
The jd is rated at 55 hp which i would like to increase. 1984 jd liquifire 440 was rated 60 hp. I have raced skidoo legends (380's) which killed me off the line but eventually would catch them.Also a polaris indy 500,skidoo formula 500 and an arctic cat 440 light weight. All which i know are well under 100 hp. I beleive the arctic cat is somewhere around 60 and the skidoo legend- 380's are under what the JD would have. Even the polaris indy and the skidoo formula shouldnt have over 100 hp. I dont think the Jd's top end is the problem.. acceleration seems to be the problem but some more hp would be nice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The jd is rated at 55 hp which i would like to increase. 1984 jd liquifire 440 was rated 60 hp. I have raced skidoo legends (380's) which killed me off the line but eventually would catch them.Also a polaris indy 500,skidoo formula 500 and an arctic cat 440 light weight. All which i know are well under 100 hp. I beleive the arctic cat is somewhere around 60 and the skidoo legend- 380's are under what the JD would have. Even the polaris indy and the skidoo formula shouldnt have over 100 hp. I dont think the Jd's top end is the problem.. acceleration seems to be the problem but some more hp would be nice.[/b]

Does a JD really go 85 mph? must take it a while to get it up to that speed ideal weather conditions permitting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does a JD really go 85 mph? must take it a while to get it up to that speed ideal weather conditions permitting.[/b]
You betcha it will.. I think most people would be surprised by the JD.

·
Registered
644 Posts
For no bigger than they were, those old JDs were very quick. As I recall the were also stable, that due, in part to there being so little suspension on them. They sat real low and hugged the snow. In my 20s I did not like the "sheet of plywood" ride - they were rough. However, now that I'm 50 I really regret tolerating those rough riding rigs.

They had the most basic of tracks with the three bands of rubber held together with steel cleats. They were functional in a most basic sense. The traction with those tin cleats will hold ypu back so though. That, and I'd really not want to be behind you if it decides to unwind at 80 mph.

If I had one of those old rigs, I would take off the suspension and give it a good maintaining work-over. Make sure everything is working well and lubricated. Ride it, race it if you wish; accept what it is and have fun. They are that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For no bigger than they were, those old JDs were very quick. As I recall the were also stable, that due, in part to there being so little suspension on them. They sat real low and hugged the snow. In my 20s I did not like the "sheet of plywood" ride - they were rough. However, now that I'm 50 I really regret tolerating those rough riding rigs.

They had the most basic of tracks with the three bands of rubber held together with steel cleats. They were functional in a most basic sense. The traction with those tin cleats will hold ypu back so though. That, and I'd really not want to be behind you if it decides to unwind at 80 mph.

If I had one of those old rigs, I would take off the suspension and give it a good maintaining work-over. Make sure everything is working well and lubricated. Ride it, race it if you wish; accept what it is and have fun. They are that![/b]
Well said and i agree totally. Thanks for the imput!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts