Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a sweet little JD Spitfire (the price was right -- Free!). It's in pretty good shape but the track cleats are worn through. Does anyone know of a source for these? I've looked online a bit at mfgsupply.com and elsewhere but haven't found them yet.

If I can't find cleats or a used track does anyone have the specs and/or know if there's a Kimpex or Camoplast (or other) track made that will fit?

I'm not a Deere guy (yet) so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yamaholic

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
man, I just scraped a box of those left over from the mercs. sorry about a week late.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know if it will help you with these specific parts, but check out DKTRADER (Dennis Kirk) store on ebay. They're selling vintage Deere parts all the time. Must have a huge inventory.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure your belts are worth cleating again first .....Orig cleats designed to break in
the centre . You can use anybodys cleat that you can drill in a bolt pattern to
match the Deere and reach 1/2 width of track ....
AM54969 track fit all spitfire , snowfire , trailfire , sprintfire and below 190,000 sn
sportfire ....newer sport and 1980 up liqui used rubber moulded track . I don't
know if pitch is the same or the length ...I have a trailfire with liqui track and
suspension in it , but the drive cogs might have been from the liquifire .
Your spit used large drive cogs to get its "high" speed of 50mph ..
If you stuff in some other brand of susp , cogs and track ...measure the
donor machines bolt pattern and drill the spit to match...
You can put most any 15" track in there , if you can get the drive cogs on
the front axle.
Good luck.
RON

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
well the cleats I have came across in my time. only a few covered the track 100% side to side. the 1/2 thing was not on any of them. I have seen more that covered the outer belt and center, next one would be other outer to the center, and so on. in effect covering 2/3s of the track or so. all the mercs we had, the cleats covered the whole track.

·
Registered
349 Posts
common mode for these was to put in a et250 or et340 skid and track, I wish when I had my 79 and 82 spitfire I had thoughjt of it.....damm cleated tracks sucked!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks SRV540 (and everyone else). I found a low mile track from a wrecked Spitfire with only 600 miles on it so I'm good for now. If it gives me problems I'll rip it out and replace it with the Enticer suspension.

Yamaholic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts