Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cussing: I recently aquired a 80's John Deere sportfire 440 with a Kawi.It was sitting out in a field for about 2 years.The first thing I did was check the spark and yes I got spark.Then I checked the fuel and yes I got fuel,flowing right out the muffler.I pulled the Mikuni carb and cleaned it and replaced the needle and seat,no more fuel flowing out the muffler.The son of a gun fires up but has no low idle below 3000 rpms.It would quit and wouldnt re-start.I thought maybe the muffler was plugged from a mouse or something so I removed it.It fired up but did the same thing.I even replaced the fuel pump,the same thing again.I thought maybe there was a intake leak so I removed it and replaced it.Now Im lost can anybody help me?

·
10,054 Posts
your stator is probably bad,,,, pull the plugs and put them back in your caps and put them on your head,,,then try to pull it over,,,, very slowly,,, do you have spark now??? if you pull hard, your high speed windings will kick in and give you spark, but if your low speed windings are not good, then you will have no idle,,,,

let me know what you come up with

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Thanks Puree I pulled her apart as soon as I got your message but the only problem is finding parts for her,especially a stator.You wouldnt know where I could find one would you,I would like to go new if possible.Once again thanks for your help and hope your having a good season.J.P.

·
10,054 Posts
which motor did you have in the sportfire,,,some were made by ccw and they are not the same as the kawis,,,, there is a place called Johns Recreation outside of Columbus Ohio and they do ship ups,,,, he has all kinds of older parts and surley has the stator,,, depending on what one you have, it could run up to 150$,,,,

go to ski doo's website,,,then go to dealer locator and enter the zipcode 45836 and the city of Dunkirk Ohio,,,, it may be on page 2,,, there are 2 johns,,, one is Johns performance, the other is Johns recreation,,,, make sure you get recreation,,,, I believe its Delaware Ohio,,, you can get the phone number and give him a call, he can take care of you

good luck and let us know how it comes out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts