Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always someone [email protected]#$%^& about how expensive the trail permit in Ontario is. Well a few years ago a chap from the Ottawa Valley explained it this way. For your 1st 150 miles (permit was around that) each mile cost you a buck. After that the cost per mile goes down.

So far this winter & it's not even Christmas, I've put on 471 miles. W/ buying the permit @ the earlybird price, my cost per mile is 38 cents. Considering the cost of everything else & the conditions so far, the permit is a bargain.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was just up in the U.P. of Mich. and got to listen to guys complain about 25.00 for a trail permit . It cost more than that to fill the sled with gas once. By the way the trails were great rode 325 miles in a day and a half.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I havent bought a trialpass in a few years, only a few trails up here to ride and i find boring to ride groomed trails. I never thought the 150 for a pass was to much to pay the trials where maintianed good and you could see where the money was spent.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I paid $90.00 this year, and seeing as I'll be riding this weekend, I'm sure it will be paid for by mid January---knocking on wood----

·
Registered
195 Posts
Haven't gotten my trail pass yet. But it'll be well worth the $230. I will be getting my trail pass by Jan. 1st when the trails open. I use this time of year to put a few kms on the sled to make sure all the bugs are worked out before starting the season. Last year I didn't buy a trail pass, but just used the sled for ice fishing purposes anyway, as I didn't feel the trails were good enough for riding on. However, I plan on putting a few thousand km's on the sled this year, so I will most definately be buying a trail pass.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
not by choice i wasted alot more money when i golfed 3 times this summer past. but i don't care to golf.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Right now I just have to look outside and say 180 well spent, Its a little harder to swallow when the white stuffs lacking. Either way I am loving this year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was just up in the U.P. of Mich. and got to listen to guys complain about 25.00 for a trail permit . It cost more than that to fill the sled with gas once. By the way the trails were great rode 325 miles in a day and a half.[/b]

When Michigan first required trail permits they were $10.00! You should have heard guys complain. I never understood it. I spend thousands on snomboiles, trailer, truck, gas, clothing lodging and I'm gonna give up on spending a $150.00 to ride smooth trails? Doesn't make sense.

If I could have trails that are maintained as well as Ontario's in the UP I would gladly pay $150.00 per sled.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
For the hardcore sledders, 180$ isn't too much of the issue..but for the few times a year sledder, 180$ or 230$ is a good amount of cash... Factor in if you have to buy one for your wife.. kids.. cousins.. uncles.. etc.... I just bought a sled for $400.. had to buy a trail permit for 180$(half the price of the sled!)... the sport doesn't HAVE to be expensive.. but 180/230 trail permits make it unpractical for some.

For most.. its much more practical to go ski'ing, snowboarding, boating/seadoo'ing.. the occasional golfing... etc... you dont have to pay $180 up front at the beginning of the season, and HOPE you use it... I have my boat sitting in the back yard, I might not have used it all year, but if I want to go out in the middle of August, a tank of gas, and $10 at the boat launch and I'm out...Imagine if you had to pay $90 to launch your boat for a single time out?! (thats the cheapest trail permit you can get now in ontario, for 3 days). You would laugh at them most likely.

As of right now? trails aren't open here, I may have put 30 miles on so far... And now they are calling for 6c and rain for the weekend... so it may just be that way for another few weeks.

:undercover:

Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For most.. its much more practical to go ski'ing, snowboarding, boating/seadoo'ing..[/b]
You may not need a "permit" to run a boat or PWC, but from what I've heard from people that have them, they aren't cheap to run & marina gas is usually a ripoff compared to highway prices.

Even though Apsley is surrounded by lakes, I have no interest in getting a boat. Busy enough w/ other interests. Once or twice out in the 14 footer is enough for me. Dealing w/ the idgits @ the Chandos boat launch would turn off even the most dedicated boater.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Haven't gotten my trail pass yet. But it'll be well worth the $230. I will be getting my trail pass by Jan. 1st when the trails open. I use this time of year to put a few kms on the sled to make sure all the bugs are worked out before starting the season. Last year I didn't buy a trail pass, but just used the sled for ice fishing purposes anyway, as I didn't feel the trails were good enough for riding on. However, I plan on putting a few thousand km's on the sled this year, so I will most definately be buying a trail pass.[/b]
Some trails are opened and groomed in Elliot lake as of last week

·
Tragically Hip-OSA
5,007 Posts
I always enjoy guys complaining about the $25 trail permits in Michigan...are you serious? $25? No offense, but if you can't afford the trail permit, maybe snowmobiling isn't the sport for you...lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
The only question I've always asked about the price of the trail permits is with regards to the 'penalty' for buying after December 1st.

Why $50?

It seems a little steep for me as a way of getting people to buy permits before the December 1st cutoff.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The only question I've always asked about the price of the trail permits is with regards to the 'penalty' for buying after December 1st.

Why $50?

It seems a little steep for me as a way of getting people to buy permits before the December 1st cutoff.[/b]
I'm not sure but I thought the higher price after dec. 1 was the regular permit price. And you get a discount if you buy early. I think its just to get some money flowing early to help get things started? I'm just guessing there.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always enjoy guys complaining about the $25 trail permits in Michigan...are you serious? $25? No offense, but if you can't afford the trail permit, maybe snowmobiling isn't the sport for you...lol[/b]
Kind of like this guy:

Click

If you want to leave a comment you can.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with steve 6, I buy a trail permit and use the trails alto so to me it's well worth it.. But years back when I had a small sled and very limited cash a trail permit was a big expense for me..I know it costs money to maintain our trails, the ones around the Soo are very well maintained..With the rising prises of sleds, insurance, GAS, trail permits etc. it has taken the family out of the sport, I was the only one last year that I seen that had a child on the sled. I don't like it when OFSC calls it a family sport because it isn't, at least riding the trails is not...It's becoming a rich man sport ..I don't mind paying for a trail permit at all, it's well worth it for me, but I think a lot of people are forgetting about the guys, girls, families with limited incomes, limited sleds and don't have a lot of money to ride the trails a couple times a week, but still love snowmobiling ........Example we have a Easter seals ride here in the Soo, if you get over a hundred dollars in pledges you get a pass to ride the trails for the day, a fill up and lunch..There has to be a couple hundred sleds there with kids, families, older sleds, but for the rest of the winter you don't see them on the trails .....I am not saying that I have the answer but this is an issue ........

Kind of like this guy:

Click

If you want to leave a comment you can.

That was a big issue around here too, OFSC and trail cops with egos, The OFSC rep should of just gave him a ticket or allowed a one day grace period, go buy a permit by tomorrow or pay the fine OR BOTH, but don't leave a stranded snowmobiler, sure the snowmobiler was in the wrong, but he didn't help the issue by not helping the guy out ..

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kind of like this guy:

Click

If you want to leave a comment you can.[/b]

The sleder in that clip had to have known that his sticker was no longer good if you buys one ever year. As for the trail warden not helping out if it is indeed true does suck we all need to help each other out when we can.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts