Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting the K&N air filters for my sled, so I can get rid of the air box. Are these any good. I hate my airbox its a pain in the ###, and K&N says it adds more hp, but I just want something smaller then my stock air box. What will fit my sled (2001 mxz 600)??

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am going to do the same as sledcrazy! what model and size do i need for a 1999 500 xc.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well I installed them on my 00zr500 this summer so I don't know what kinda performance gains I'll get. I went direct to K&N to find a size and went to one of the dealers listed on there site saved about $10 on each filter that way. I went with 2 7/16 id, 20degree angle 3od on the filter and 6inch length. But i'm running in to trouble with my jackshaft but have some ideas to get around it. I also had to make a mount for my coil, fuel pump, and shut off valve. Its alot more open under the hood though. I also plan on getting sno chargers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive heard of people that have them and say that you should stick w/ stock air box because you have to re-jet constantly w/ the K&N filter. Is this true?? They also say that your not getting clean cold air w/ the K&N. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
756 Posts
For a normal pull it & forget it trail sled leave the air box on it! Filters are more of a pain than a gain, on a trail sled.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
had a few friends run them and it is a big hassle for everyday trail or powder riding

·
Registered
326 Posts
Some sleds don't gain any power either because the filters are drawing warm air and on some sleds the stock airbox is designed so at the peak hp rpm the resonate frequency acts almost like a supercharger and lowers the ambient pressure on the intake side of the airbox to push in more air.

·
Registered
756 Posts
some air boxes are just a source of cold air, which is good. Others are actual resonant boxes which may actually help pump air into the motor. :0:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I ran K+Ns on my 86 Formula Plus for 4 years, never had a problem. Sled had 44VMs on it, no getting the air box back on.

Ran UNI on my 98 FIII700 for 2 years, no problem. Had the motor apart to rebuild at 2500miles and pistons were fine.

Now, I have seen some sleds that are very prone to suxking snow and this is something to think about. It could cause you to sieze a motor.

If you want to gain some air flow, here are 2 options to look at.

A - This would be the best option, and the cheapest. SLP makes a air flow kit for the stock airbox for the ZX chassis. You basically drill out the optional gage pods on the dash, and drop in 2 2 1/2" "pods" that have foam to prevent snow coming in.

B - If you want to run the K+Ns, you should buy the socks for them so that they won't suck any snow. If you do any trail riding at all, especially if you ride off-trail or during a snow storm, then you should have the socks on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would be very afraid to mess around with that kind of thing. It way give you small amouts of hp gain but what are you going to do when your carbs freeze up every time you get down into the powder. You would go through alot of gass line antifreeze. Each to there own but I wouldn't do it. I have one on my truck but that is different.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would leave this mod to serious racers only. Not that they are that hard to set up, I don't think they are. What I can't stand is the huge difference in sound coming from under the hood. My guess is that after the novelty wears off, you'll be disappointed, as that is the only gain you are going to realize- the noise. If you insist on the mod....don't lose track of where your airbox is. Chances are exellent you'll be looking for it soon. DON"T THROW IT AWAY!!!!

AL

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
K&N's are great for grass draggi'n but that's about all IMO.
Take advantage of the cool crisp air only found in snowmobiling. You know how your sled runs on those cold-cold night's? She really bark's dont she?
Well put those K&N's on and all you will get is 60-100 degree air feeding your engine and a lot of sucking noise that get's old like michahicks said.
IMO it will always be a 'jetting nightmare' and go slower to boot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts