Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gales, what do you think about after market clamp on style filters, I have a 99" snopro, and the air box really does takes up alot of space, i know it only takes a few seconds to remove it but the K&N and other filters look pretty cool, i was just wondering if anybody has had any experince with them. My main concern would be snow and ice build up and then getting water in the carbs?

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I am not quite sure how these could be better than the airbox. I mean, with these the engine is drawing warm air from under the hood while the airbox draws from the outside. If you want more airflow, then gut the airbox and rejet accordingly.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I added the K&Ns this summer. Can't really tell you how much hp they add yet but they really do free up alot of space. You can check out my webpage to see pics. I would definetly run Snowchargers on them also. I was talking to someone in the chat today and they said they have no trouble with ice or snow running K&Ns and Snowchargers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like ZR500 said I had no problems with them last year and the sled was left out overnight in a snowstorm once( I did brush the snow out from under the hood before I started it ) From the jetting I can tell I'm getting alot more air in the engine so check your set up if you are going to use them and always use snochargers on the trails for added protection.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Snowpro.....If your airbox is anything like the box on my 99 T-Cat, then you'll want to make a bird house out of it. I had major problems with snow injestion, and carb icing, and my dealers recommendation was plug all holes and vents with duct tape. Did any of you find a roll of tape in the storage area of your seat when you bought your sled??? I didn't think so..My last sled purchase was a Ski-doo.
I installed a set of Kick-### filters with water-proof covers, and noticed a hugh increase in performance because of improved airflow. Also no more problems with snow injestion or carb ice. I upped the main jetting, and removed the plugs from the side vents on the hood as well.
As for the warm air factor, that only applies to the mountain sleds that climb the slopes WOT with a 15 mph ground speed. I have no problems with warm air under the hood at 90 mph, and -20c. I have seen many mod and mountain sleds with the K&N's. The sledders I know have no problems with them. On my Cat, I give them a 2 thumbs up....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy the kick ### filters if you have the old style airbox. I have run mine in an absolute blizzard with my hood off & the never even burped. I was very pleased with them. I put them on a 99 ZR700 & they were great. I have heard of the otherones K&N & others not repelling the snow as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for the info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts