Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of removing the restrictive Cat air box and putting Kick A$$ Air Filters on my T-Cat. Has anybody ever used them? Can they be used for typicall riding?
If anybody has any info on them I would appreciate your advice, thanks.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I run K&N's on all my sleds, makes it much easier to jet.   haven't had any probs yet with any of em.    KickA$$ filters are nice, but i am not sure about cleaning them, so i just go with K&N's

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would like to know too.  I was thinking about doing this to my ZRT 800 as well.  But wouldn't know where begin jetting at.  The airboxes on the 1999 and newer ZRT's are very restrictive, not to mention a pain to take on and off to access the carbs.

Rob H

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey 1000 IMP, glad to see you around again. Is it a must to run the ETG?? Thanks

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Thinking of putting those filters on my Monster...

Last edited by Rocketman at Mar. 30, 2002, 5:39pm

·
Registered
791 Posts
When removing stock air box and putting for example kick ### filters or an aftermarket air box a good place to start with jetting changes is to go up two full sizes on the main jet and moving the needle clip down one to rich in it up and adjust from there watching your plugs.  This is the exact words of a tech at D&D racing.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I also have been thinking of going with the k&n filter because the stock air box is so restrictive, also i do not like how loose it fits on the carbs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a two triple 600's and they both have K&N filters in them. I have had no problems
with cleaning or maintainting them. The advantage with K&N is that they make filters
for everything and all of there products can be bought anywhere.
Jetting is straight forward. Go up 2 sizes on the main jet from your current position and
keep checking your plugs and adjusting untill it's right.
Don't do this in the off season. Wait until the weather is at a tempeture where you
normaly ride in so that you can get your jets dialed in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
AK - I ran my cat all last winter without my racepak, and didn't burn down once.   the racepak is nice, because once you find the baseline temp that the sled likes to run at, you just try keep it close to that, and if the temps do rise, atleast you know and have a warning.  
K&N's are nice also because like Taxicat says, they make em in a variety of sizes, and from what i have seen KickA$$ doesn't make their filters with different flanges on em.   and on cat triples you need atleast a 20 degree bend in then so that is clears the jackshaft.     i went with 4X5 filters with 20 degree bends on my 2000 cat, they fit nice, and once you do get the airbox out of there you can take that little plastic intake out from behind them and it gives you way more room to work.
when on the trail, and using K&N's just check the plugs once in awhile, there is no need to run the sled light brown on the trail, so stay with a nice choco brown and you won't have any probs.   make sure to check the mid-range jetting also, and when jetting jet high and go down, running rich doesn't hurt as like running lean does.

·
Registered
172 Posts
one thing i forgot to add, once you remove the airbox, all you need to do is fabricate a little thing to hold the electrical system in place. All i did was bolt the plastic thing that holds the sleds electrical to a peice of 16 gauge aluminum that I put a few bends in and then used the existing airbox hole, and another hole i drilled beside it to hold it on.    been like that for two years and has yet to break.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Imp and to everybody for there info.....
One last thing though do they ice-up in the powder???

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
supposedly Kickass are supposed to be better for powder than K&N. Something to do with the charging oil or something.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Have run the kick ### filters all year on my 99 zrt-800  granted have not put many miles on it only about 400 or so,,  however most of em have been on the lake for top speed runs, you will all like the extra room behind carbs!!  and yes jetting changes are much easier
 i mounted my electrics right to the side of the oil tank  ( Big  slab of velcro) and short bungee for back up,,  20 degree day with 370mains needle in 4th slot i can run slow in ditches or trails or run for miles at WOT,,  4100 miles on this thing, With Reverse it has gone 117 MPH  other than the filters its stock  ( GPS for speed run) :

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here's a shot of a 99 T-Cat with K-A filters installed.  There is excellent airflow...even in the powder, and I like the installation better than K&N's.  The orginal airbox is a joke on these sleds, and anything is an improvement....Bogie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ive had experience with kicka$$ filters.  They work great!  No need to fool with oiling them like K&N's.  Also, we were skeptical about the kicka$$ in powder.  No problems yet, and all we ride is powder and hills so...
All in all-other than the price, the kicka$$ is a great filter.  I would definitely reccomend them.
PS.  They sound cool too.  I guess that could be a bad thing, but I like the intake noise myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts