Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if people use these things. In case you don't know what one is, its a wide belt used to help support your back while riding.  Just like the belts made for lifting heavy objects.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Like i mentioned in another post, studies have shown that using kidney belts can leave you more prone to injury because they do not allow a full range of movement and thus other muscles have to compensate, muscles which are not strong enough and in some cases not meant for that kind of use. I would not use a kidney belt. A weight belt maybe...but why would you use a weight belt for snowmobiling

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use a back brace type deal that is for snowmobile use. I would not ride without it. I have ridden on trails that I could not hardly walk the next day and with the back brace I feel fine. Try it you might like it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
would not leave home without it.

i did 1,700 miles in 5 days one time on a 580 - almost died.  Bought a kidney belt the next day and have not had "trail torture" in the back since......

but you have to get one made specifically for sleds - they are fit for the form you take while riding.

Arctic cat makes a good one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
jackpine - I have been toying with the idea of a tekvest - do you recommend?   My reservation would be restriction of movement.  how do you find it?

does it give same support in back as kidney belt?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Used to use them all the time when i raced motocross, never use them on the sled though, never to seem to be sore after a hard ride. Except my shoulders after the first ride i think it's from the big power.

M

·
0 Posts
Some thoughts about "kidney belts"from a medical perspective.

1. They "increase the pressure" inside your abdomen, which "increases the support" of your spine. They do what muscles can't or won't do anymore.

2. Using them habitually does cause the abdominal muscles to weaken. You lose the ability to generate the force inside your abdomen to help support your spine and the main supports also begin to fail.

3. Like rocketman mentioned, if your spine can't flex, you are more prone to blowing out a disc in the event of a compression force. However, a weight belt serves the same function as a kidney belt.

The big question is..why are you having back pain? Injury? Age? Lack of strength in the abdominal area? (The ability to do 50 situps in a minute do not neccessarily indicate strong spinal muscles!! Even trail riders should do some spinal(trunk) strengthening exercises!

I started wearing a tek vest 2 years ago after a close encounter with a deer herd. They are not a problem once you get used to the compression they add to your chest.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yeah..I don't know why I added that part about the weightbelt...must've been some crack smoke coming through the registers at my house...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Racing organizations Highly recommend the usage of kidney belts to prevent your internal organs from colliding and excessively bruising.
I have found that fatugue is much less of an issue with one on. Without one rough trails can really mess up your insides.

There are several types of kidney belts ranging from very stiff to not so stiff, I use a Thor kidney belt that is actually somewhat pliable. I Highly Recommend wearing one for health reasons.
After all you are participating in a very athletic activity, unless you only ride behind the groomer that is.

Along with a kidney belt, it would be a good idea to excersise. At least do some situps for a couple of minutes a day.

On the other hand, my Arctic Cat Snowpants has an elastic area sewn into it that acts similar to a kidney belt.

I am also curious if the tek vest provides any support in this area, If not, they should consider that as a product upgrade.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I can see if you wore a kidney belt all the time 24-7, having these problems. But wearing them riding only helps big time from the sudden jars you get from sucker bumps ect. I know since I've been wearing mine my back never bothers me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used kidney belts all the time for motocross. I have never felt a need for it snowmobiling, only my tail bone gets sore after a day of thrashing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up using mine and loved it.  I went on 2 rides at about 160 miles each and woke up feeling great in the morning.  I know some of that was just me getting over the first ride of the season but I do think it helped.  Too bad the season looks like its over.  Its 40 degrees today in Houghton.  

1 - 17 of 17 Posts