Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL snow4's oil cap started leaking last winter and was getting on the brake assy. SO this year I needed to address this . I know there's a insert for a fix on this but I also heard a gasket can be used in the cap too. After looking into it more it seams the baffle in the cap is not sealing evenly on the tank(bearly the same size). When you put the cap on and snug it the baffle gets shifted to one side(it moves in the cap) causing it not to seal. Also I found when the cap is tight the back side of the baffle bottoms out on the cap but it has to hit just right to seal.

Since I seen this gasket rubber for 3 bucks I thought I'll try this first. Pull your cap and carefully pop the baffle out of the cap . Then take and trace the baffle on the rubber gasket. When cutting leave the line so it's a tick bigger than the baffle . Then install the new rubber and then the baffle.
Be sure you get the rubber gasket pushed up in the cap around the threads.
When things heat/cool they tend to expand and contract and if the seal is not big enough it breaks the seal during this cycle.
SO far mine has'nt leaked yet (seams the baffle is sealing) but I did mine too anyways.

mutt

[attachment=40660:cap.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
I swapped oil caps with my 96 Formula SLS & has never leaked again. The bottle tends to warp a little but I also find the cap threads are not deap like the old oil caps. If you over tighten theoil cap will skip, where the old style fits perfect :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts