Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolfman: you mentioned about putting LED lights on your trailer. Can you fill us in as to who makes them and what sizes and or shapes they come in? Being LED lamp assemblies, they would have to be much more waterproof than the garbage taillight assemblies that most auto parts stores sell.

I had one trailer light assembly crap out after a haul of only a hundred miles. The bulb socket looked like you had cranked an arc welder to 150 amps and stuck it in the socket. There was nothing left of it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
A better question might be: How much are they? A buddy bought them for our trailer yesterday. If I remember right, he said something to the tune of 70 dollars.... per side! That would be for the oval shape tail lights only, no markers. He did say they had a lifetime gaurantee, but GEEZ! If your still interested, e-mail me, and I'll try to get the source info...

AL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Grote is one company that makes them,available at most automotive parts stores.You maybe able to view them at their web site.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
NAPA auto parts has a good selection.There is a local store in my area(Farm and Fleet) thats sells the sealed oval units for 50 bucks each.They are way cool but I can't justify spending that kind of bones for them.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The salt that they use on the roads here in Ontario is hard on the electrics. I figure if you spend some money and don't have to spend the time every year replacing them, it's money well spent.

·
Registered
530 Posts
WHA???  Those prices are very high.  LEDs are not that expensive.  You can get a single light for about $.99.  You have to remember a LED is a close circuit.  So, it take some addition wiring to get them to work right on a regular open circuit socket.  Just go to your local parts store they should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
02MXZ600, we're talking about the whole taillamp assembly, like the ones used on transport trailers. Not individual LEDs. I guess I might not have been clear on that.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am a purchasing agent that buys LED's all day long from Grote, Trucklite, Signal Stat and I buy at warehouse distributor level and have never seen an led light go for $.99.  Any one need any?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think 02MXZ600 is referring to what you would pay at Radio Shack for an LED. If LED taillights were that cheap ($.99) all trailers would have them  

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I plan on making my own.  They can be made fairly easily.  I will be using my existing housings, and then drilling LED mounts into a flat piece of plastic.  I'll then bolt this whole thing to the existing hardware, put the lenses back on, and wire it in.  As for cost, I should be able to get it done for less than half the cost of the new sets.    

1 - 11 of 11 Posts