Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the season is fast approaching I need a trailer and I have been looking at enclosed trailers.
I have a few questions.

1 - aluminum or galvinized?
2 - fat boy tires or the skinny 12 inchers

I have been looking at Triton and Northtrail, I like the looks of the triton better but the lid seems more stable on the Northtrail.

Finish is way better on the Triton.
The triton has a wood floor but is warrentied for life and the Northtrail is galvinized.
the Triton has fat boy tires and the Northtrail has the 12 inchers
The lights are better on the triton.

The triton is a roughly $300 more ( plus tax)
Someone told me he has heard of some problems with the aluminum trailers with the welds going due to the flex in the metal?

I assume lots of you guys with have either of these trailers , what do you like and dislike about each
thanks
Gerry

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Originally posted by ger@Oct 18 2002, 04:48 AM
since the season is fast approaching I need a trailer and I have been looking at enclosed trailers.
I have a few questions.

1 - aluminum or galvinized?
2 - fat boy tires or the skinny 12 inchers

I have been looking at Triton and Northtrail, I like the looks of the triton better but the lid seems more stable on the Northtrail.

Finish is way better on the Triton.
The triton has a wood floor but is warrentied for life and the Northtrail is galvinized.
the Triton has fat boy tires and the Northtrail has the 12 inchers
The lights are better on the triton.

The triton is a roughly $300 more ( plus tax)
Someone told me he has heard of some problems with the aluminum trailers with the welds going due to the flex in the metal?

I assume lots of you guys with have either of these trailers , what do you like and dislike about each
thanks
Gerry
What are you using for a tow vehicle? This would dictate what you can do more than price. If you're using a full size pickup, then I'd lean on the old school galvanized trailer, and avoid the shaky aluminum weld potential. If you are using a vehicle with a relatively limited capacity, as I do, then weght needs to be paramount for safe towing, and make weld inspections a regular part of your trailers pretrip inspection.

As for tires, go bigger if you can. My thinking is that the bigger tire should be safer in the long run in regards to blowouts and hauling capacity.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Never heard of Northtrail so I don't know anything about them. I have a Triton Elite with Sled Dock cap that I just bought. If you search the forums you'll find nothing but good things to say about Triton.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I owned a Northtrail double three years ago. I had no issue with the quality of the topper, it worked fine. On my trailer their lights and wiring was nothing but horrible. I had trouble from day one and finally rewired the trailer a couple of weeks later using sealed truck lite units and ran all the wiring on the inside of the top to ensure no further problems.
Don't buy the "fat boy" tires. On snowy roads it will be all you can do to keep the trailer tracking behind you. The fat tires will keep the trailer constantly trying to pass you on the corners. Another issue with the fattys is they hold salt/sand on the back side of the wide rims causing them to rust badly and in very short order break (second season on my dad's trailer). Buy the tall skinnys, they give much better traction plus they keep wheel bearing speeds down for extended life. Don't forget to have bearing buddys installed, it'll save you from a side of the road cursing session.
Keep in mind these trailers are as aerodynamic as a brick. If your not in a hurry they pull reasonably easily but if your pushing the speed limit or above these things take major power to pull, and lots of fuel.
I've never owned a triton but agree the finished product has a superior quality look to it and a better lighting package. Plus its slightly more aerodynamic with the cut off roof peak.
My most recent trailer (just bought it) is a galvanized drop deck single with one of those every so ugly, plastic "Toy Carrier" tops. These things are very light, far more aerodynamic, well built and priced more than right. On a double trailer they offer a similar aero advantage plus you can see down through the center of the two tops for rear visibility.
With trailers costing a big buck you owe it to yourself to compare the offerings at the upcoming sled show in Toronto.
Rick.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How much did one of those toy carriers set you back?

Ryan

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I had considered buying an all aluminum 4 place enclosed trailer and done a bit of homework on all the specs. I did a complete breakdown on the curb weights, ramp heights, int heights, etc. I guess I have about 8-10 trailers spec'd on there by diff mfgrs.

If anyone wants a copy, email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick , I was also looking at those toy carrier's , my thinking on them was
just about extra space inside for maybe gas cans ect.

As for a tow vehicle I have a Chevy Avalanche so towing capacity should not be a problem.
I am going to the Toronto show , this is why I would like to do some homework first. I am sure that each dealer will say why theirs is the best.
Gerry

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I bought mine for under $1800 (plus tax's) Canadian this summer which if your buying with USD its almost free. Do a web search for Excalibur Trailers (I can't remember their web address). I dealt with the owner Ivan, the guy just can't do enough to make you happy.

I to thought there would be lots of room left for gas can etc.

Take the measurements of your sleds and a tape measure with you. You'll see once loaded in, very little usable space remains.

Good luck on your purchase, your doing it the right way by looking and comparing offerings from all. I'm sure you'll here lots of different reasons as to why the one your looking at is better than the one two isles over.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
man-i thought that i was a trailer guru-but z-r sled head's got me beat. SWRules go with the triton-you'll never regret it!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I currently have a enclosed two place 10' northtrail. I've had it for 3 years, but just put the enclosure on it last fall. Overall, I've been quite happy.

Although, it was really only the cost that stopped me from buying the Triton. In my opinion they are a better unit.

However, I don't like the fat boy tires for the reasons mentioned above.

And they sure do cut into your fuel ecomomy. My 2002 Chev 1500 Silverado, V8, gets about 21mpg Hwy. Pulling the trailer running about 110km/hr its down to 11-12mpg.

Its a tough decision. It might be nice to hear the manufactures opinion of why their trailer is better than their competitors.

One thing is forsure, you will love the enclosure for keeping the sleds clean, and it also gives you some extra dry storage room for your gear.

Good luck,

FishHog

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just bought a 10/11 year old triton! they are rock solid trailers. I've personally not heard of a Triton breaking welds except a friend who drove crazy,heavily loaded down really bad roads. You'll pay more for a Triton, but a lexus costs more than a cadilac for a reason.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I too own a triton. Love it. I do wish it had the skinny tires. Is that an option now? I have a bearcat cap. I wish I had the new Triton cap.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
rf,
You can put the skinny tires on any trailer. On some trailers theres optional holes in the shackles that will give you more clearance for a larger skinny tire but even a short skinny is an improvement over the fattys. Keep in mind that the higher the trailer sits the bigger hole in the air it needs to punch which adds up to more drag. The good part is the taller tires reduce wheel bearing speeds which adds reliability.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 17 2002, 06:01 PM
rf,
You can put the skinny tires on any trailer. On some trailers theres optional holes in the shackles that will give you more clearance for a larger skinny tire but even a short skinny is an improvement over the fattys. Keep in mind that the higher the trailer sits the bigger hole in the air it needs to punch which adds up to more drag. The good part is the taller tires reduce wheel bearing speeds which adds reliability.
Yeah, I've thought about all that. I haven't owned the trailer that long and I don't use it a ton. I think I used it three times last season. The other times we take a friends fourplace. But thanks for the info. :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last year I put on the plastic runners that lay on the wood floor. Awesome, the sled just slides right off! And saves the wood from the wear rods. (And goes on easier) I don't have pics.

I highly recommend those things, whatever there called?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Kirk@Oct 18 2002, 01:23 PM
Last year I put on the plastic runners that lay on the wood floor. Awesome, the sled just slides right off! And saves the wood from the wear rods. (And goes on easier) I don't have pics.

I highly recommend those things, whatever there called?
I agree with the Captain.

Traction Mats and Ski glides should be mandatory equipment on any trailer.

FishHog

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
My cousin has a FLOE with the aluminum Protector enclosure on it, with the slides/mats. I have a small utility trailer I use to just haul my sled around with, and instead of the expensive slides for the skis, I was at home depot or lowes, and saw in the wood section, 6 inch wide by 3/4 inch tall with 6 grooves in it. Oh, and it was all plastic. It was PVC garage door trim. Just put the finished side down, and leave the grooves up for your skis to run in. I bought two pieces, each was 12' long and cost about a dollar per foot. I'll show pics soon.

I honestly think this is the way to go.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great tip for the slider things, In Canada they are about $70 for a pair(1 sled)

this trailer thing is tough, where do you draw the line at the $50-100 more thing.
you can always get better for $100 more and eventually you are ever your budget.
Arrrrg...
:cussing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts