Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's a new topic sure to get an arguement( or some disscusion goin&#39
! And its something that's been bugging me for awhile.
 Why is there not a place on ALL snowmobiles that is required by law to place a plate or sticker? I've noticed that all plates I've seen are the same size be it metal or stick-on. But, unlike a car, bike, trailer etc. there is no real place to mount it. People have them mounted on snowflaps where they tend to break and then you have to buy a new one. On the tunnel and I'll be damned if I'm going to drill holes there and weaken that area. Mounted on hoods to cover up hundreds of $ of decals? Don't think so! Some are mounted under the hood on the belt guard. Or on the foot rest. Why cannot there be a place allocated by all manufacters to put this required item? Mine? its in what seems to be the most common area ... the storage compartment in the back of the seat.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I stuck mine on the snow flap..it spent the first year in the trunk, but technically, it is supposed to be visible. Doo snowflaps are pretty tough...I'm not too worried of it breaking off unles you do alot of tail landings...TAP THE BRAKE!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Here in ontario we have several options for plate numbers.We can stick on the ministry issued plate,or have custome numbers made up that must be a certain size and clearly visible from a set distance.Plate sticker must be on left side of machine on the cowl area with a white border around it if not installed on plate sticker issued.Custom numbers must also be on the sides of the cowl or upper bellypan.We are supposed to have our trail pass on the windshield or middle upper cowl area.I did notice opp and stop officers highly enforcing this with a zero tolerance this year

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I can remember a few year ago (early '90s?) some discussion in the magazines that there was supposed to be some kind of conference involving the states, provinces and OEMs to come up with a common registration sticker and the OEMs would leave a space "open" on the side of the hood where you would put the sticker on. I never heard anything afterwards. I guess the fact that we're still trying to put the sticker on without covering up the graphics, vent holes etc, speaks for itself.

Don't get us Ontario snowmobilers ranting about the custom numbers/registration sticker fiasco of a few years ago. The topic will be "locked" in no time  

(this meaning the Ontario MTO)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put my plate on the tunnel held on with velcro that is glued to the tunnel and the back of the plate.There are some benefits to this that i won't get into.LOL.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
In Alberta the plate was (in 1995) the same as a car plate and it was put on your snow flap.  

In Ontario, you have the choice of using the MTO issued blue & white decal or custom #s of a contrasting colour. If Paul or someone else wants to fill in the non-Ontarians with what happened a few years they can. I don't want to talk about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts