Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would say 15000km to 20000km is realistic. But you will notice a loss in performance by then. But if your just out to ride and couldnt care for a little loss i say your good to go.

But there are varibles. Gas quality, Time frame of miles put on.

If you do a cross country run your sled will last longer then if it takes you 20 years to put on 20000kms. Just treat it as good as you can and time will tell.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I got 6000 miles out of my 2000 mxz 700, before the crank needed new bearings, the crank never really blew, the sled still ran but with a grinding noise. This all too I think could have been prevented- my stator got messed up when my recoil broke due to a piece getting lodged in the magneto. All this threw off the timing of the sled and it was backfiring etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've never seen an oil brand that has caused a failure. Any good quality oil made for snowmobiles will work. Will synthetics add life? I doubt it. However, I run them for two reasons. Ease of cleaning exhaust valves (mine haven't ever needed cleaning), and ease of cold weather use (-30F and below).

I have seen DOZENS of fuel related failures and even more realated to cooling issues. I have seen lots of piston failures that have had nothing to do with oil and I have seen crank failures with nothing to do with oil..

Quite frankly, it's a crap shoot on how long a sled will last..

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've been hearing lately that the life expectancy of the pistons on the 800 is
only about 1200-1500 miles before they start to develope stress cracks and have
the potential to grenade the motor. I think that this is mostly the case
regardless of what oil you use. Just some food for thought and something you
might want to check into.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh really stress cracks has anybody else heard of this u got me worried now. :( should i get the extended warranty u think.? :yee: :cussing:

·
Registered
316 Posts
An extended warranty is a good idea. Leave the sled stock and ride it like you stole it! Any current 800 twin is plenty fast, just hammer down!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts