Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an 05 mxz 800x. My first ride with it was about 2 weekends ago. All four shocks were blown. I sent them out to hygear and had them all rebuilt. I got to ride it this last weekend on a lake but haven't gotten any trail time in. So I have a few questions.

1.) Is it really all that bad to have the skis lift a little? When we were on the lake and I was going anywhere between 10 and 30 mph, I could stand all the way to the back, gun it and pull back on the bars and have it lift the skis until 100 if I tried hard enough. Sometimes I'd have to feather the throttle a little when it first came up because it felt like it was going to come over. Generally, that was on the rare occasion I had a good hook up from dead stop. The torsion springs in the rear are set to second from stiffest. The rear most shock has the red dial set to one turn from being bottomed out. Don't remember what the little screw in the middle is set at. Don't know which hole limiter straps are on, didn't check.
2.) Any advice for someone setting up their suspension on one of these machines? I weigh about 240lbs and I'm 6'1" tall.

This is my first X sled. I don't know what the factory settings are, everything was set as soft as it would go when I got it. So I set all the springs as hard as they'd go, rode it and realized very quickly they were all blown. When I took them out I confirmed this. Feels a lot better now, but as I've said I only got to ride it on the lake down here. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to adjust trail side so I was hoping I could get some good tips and maybe some good starting points. A lot of the trails in northern NH are pretty narrow with lots of moguls. I want it to soak 'em up like I'm riding a lexus on the highway, and handle the corners like it's on rails. And from what I've heard about these revs, I'm not reaching too high.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lifting ski's means you are getting 100% of the sled weight on the track. Great fo acelleration traction. If you lift to much, it's a waste of HP in lifting the sled. Basicaly, sounds like you are setup pretty good. My sled is set for Powder, loose limiter straps, and it launches the ski's skyward on the hardpack. Sometimes hard to ride trails aggressivly that way

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
just what he said. ski lift is not all bad just depends on what you like. i can go 0 to max with the skis in the air on my pro x, it a little scary. but front the sounds of what you got your doing perfect. the ski lift is just bad when cornering. if you have a lot of it youll have to take corners a little slow, but you accel harder then you come out of them to its a loose win. i personally like it, it nice when jumping alot. if it pulls a little on one ski in corners and you dont like it adjust the suspension some. if you like it and get used to it keep it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was figuring. If I have to pretty much try to get it to lift by standing all the way back it can't be too bad. When the suspension was bad, it would regularly lift one ski at random moments. I'm hoping that with the rebuilts it won't do that because I like the idea of being able to get full transfer or lift it if needed in the trails to avoid obstacles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took it for a ride on the trails for the first time last night. I wasn't pleased with it. I'm not sure if the poor conditions played any part in the poor handling or not. I want to find out what the stock settings are and start from there. The funny thing about the limiter strap is that I checked my brother's (06 sdix) and his is way looser than mine. I was going to try and soften up my center shock a bit last night, but with all that ice build up I couldn't do anything about it.

When going down some fairly flat straightaways, it would dart really bad and the rear and would fishtail. And that was just cruising along at a steady throttle. It felt like it was pivoting at the center shock, because the rear would swing right while the skis darted left. It felt really funny.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your skids front-rear coupleing also playe a part in ski lift. If it's fully coupled, it will not want to lift, and the rear will feel loose. Try uncoupling the rear a little, or cranking up the rear spring preload. That will allow the rear to sit higher, more in the uncoupled range, and give more initial weight transfer and better handling. Sounds weird, stiffer rear to take weight off ski's, but it does work, but only in theinitial, uncoupled portion if the skids travel

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently got an 05 mxz 800x. My first ride with it was about 2 weekends ago. All four shocks were blown. I sent them out to hygear and had them all rebuilt. I got to ride it this last weekend on a lake but haven't gotten any trail time in. So I have a few questions.

1.) Is it really all that bad to have the skis lift a little? When we were on the lake and I was going anywhere between 10 and 30 mph, I could stand all the way to the back, gun it and pull back on the bars and have it lift the skis until 100 if I tried hard enough. Sometimes I'd have to feather the throttle a little when it first came up because it felt like it was going to come over. Generally, that was on the rare occasion I had a good hook up from dead stop. The torsion springs in the rear are set to second from stiffest. The rear most shock has the red dial set to one turn from being bottomed out. Don't remember what the little screw in the middle is set at. Don't know which hole limiter straps are on, didn't check.
2.) Any advice for someone setting up their suspension on one of these machines? I weigh about 240lbs and I'm 6'1" tall.

This is my first X sled. I don't know what the factory settings are, everything was set as soft as it would go when I got it. So I set all the springs as hard as they'd go, rode it and realized very quickly they were all blown. When I took them out I confirmed this. Feels a lot better now, but as I've said I only got to ride it on the lake down here. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to adjust trail side so I was hoping I could get some good tips and maybe some good starting points. A lot of the trails in northern NH are pretty narrow with lots of moguls. I want it to soak 'em up like I'm riding a lexus on the highway, and handle the corners like it's on rails. And from what I've heard about these revs, I'm not reaching too high.[/b]

in a race u want the skis to be off the ground for about 20-30 but after that u start to lose speed all so if u can get the skis up then lean forward and drop them down with out leting off the gaz then u are set up perfact and u will be the fast's of the line and out the corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts