Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy folks - I want to build a loading ramp for driving my sled into the back of my truck - anyone ever built one that may have a set of plans kicking around?

many thanks and ride safe!!

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
The guy who bought my jag pulled one out of the back of his truck that looked really cool and lightweight. incidentally he had bought it from a think Northern??? cant be sure. but he added some plywood to it and I think he told me it only costs $100. it was long enough to get a sled into the back of a pick up and seemed pretty solid. Might want to check that out.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
one of the members here that goes by the handle "hosehead" built one that flips out of a folded position and is installed in his trailer hitch reciever. it's top drawer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I built two frames out of 2x4s, 2 feet wide by 7feet long.(if I had to do it again, I’d use 1x2s .not as heavy). Sorry you'll have to make the metric convertions. Make sure you use plenty of center bracing for your frames .then I Screwed OSB on top. Then I drilled holes on the inside of each frame, and bolted them together, with eye bolts and wing nuts (Used eye bolts so I could pull them apart easily). So now I had two halves, 2 feet wide bolted together. This makes it easier to store in the truck. Then to hook them onto the tailgate, I used one inch wide flat stock metal and bent them to fit between the tailgate and the bed. This way they won’t back off on you when you load your sled. Then I bolted the other end of the flat stock to the bottom of the frame. I used wing nuts hear so I could remove them for storage. I only used two pieces of flat stock ( one on each side of the ramp when bolted together) , but if I had to do it again, I’d use four(one on each side of the 2 foot frames) this would make it sturdier . Worked great and still does if I want to hull three sleds, but it still doesn’t replace the trailer. If I can, I’ll post some pics. I used some stuff that I had laying around, but I think I had about $30 in it.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Revrnd has a pretty slick ramp that he made up for the back of his truck. He has the plans. I have been thinking about making one myself.

Perm

·
Registered
89 Posts
I built one that attaches to my receiver and folds up. I works fairly well but it can be a little auckward to handle. Let me know if you are interested and I will shoot some photos. I would recommend doing it in aluminum as I did mine it steel.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Revrnd has a pretty slick ramp that he made up for the back of his truck. He has the plans. I have been thinking about making one myself.

Perm
[/b]
You going to revisit that? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have built 3, rocketman bought the first one that i have pictures of and son bought second one and im using the third one. here are pics of rocketmans.

and 1 pic of the one i built last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Here's a link to a pretty slick unit.

I've tried it myself and it's perfectly balanced and easy to use.
You might be able to make something similar on your own but for what I believe is a $440
price tag, you might spend more for getting it down to the final result of their engineering.
It's all about the right balance.
If you know someone that has one, you could copy the measurements. But of course if you
knew someone with this unit, you wouldn't have posted your thread here. :cool:

The only downside I can see, would be if you had a lot of ice or snow in your truck bed once
you have the unit in the bed. It might interfere with the oversized rollers.
I recently saw one in the Tri-Add paper for $150.

http://www.cyclehauler.com/ezsledloader.htm

Good luck

Jeff

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Here's a link to a pretty slick unit.

I've tried it myself and it's perfectly balanced and easy to use.
You might be able to make something similar on your own but for what I believe is a $440
price tag, you might spend more for getting it down to the final result of their engineering.
It's all about the right balance.
If you know someone that has one, you could copy the measurements. But of course if you
knew someone with this unit, you wouldn't have posted your thread here. :cool:

The only downside I can see, would be if you had a lot of ice or snow in your truck bed once
you have the unit in the bed. It might interfere with the oversized rollers.
I recently saw one in the Tri-Add paper for $150.

http://www.cyclehauler.com/ezsledloader.htm

Good luck
Jeff
[/b]
I'm using a unit very similar to that one which is also made of aluminum. Zero issues, yes even with a little snow in the box it works mint. Well worth the investment and will last for years.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts