Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer in my hometown will no longer be a Cat dealer.Cat said that they had to buy a truckload of sleds each year.Being a small dealer to begin with and a bad winter slowed sales for them,they had 10 left over 02 sleds.Cat took the leftovers back with no problem but told them this is how many sleds you will sell next year.The dealer stood his ground and Cat said its our way or the highway and he said see ya.

My brother in law ordered an F5 and an F7 from them.He is very upset about this because of warranty issues.The next closest dealer is 40 miles away and has a bad rep. for service.

The dealer found out that mother Cat was going to dump them after the spring orders were in.After all the spring order sleds are delivered,Cat is going to pull out all parts stock and part ways with this long time ma and pa dealer.

Business is Business I guess.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mxz7,
 that's too bad because the maw and paw dealers if one were to look have the highest customer satisfaction no matter what they sell. but the days of wearing all the hats i am afraid are gone the big companies are leasing the dealers of all big ticket retail large computer systems that are company hookups only for huge money and the dealer has to be connected. the cost of the overhead is way out of sight and who pays bottom line ? well we can answer that one without being a rocket scientist.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Arctic Cat has been treating our local dealer like crap for a few years. He started out about 12 years ago as a small dealer. Ordered about 8 sleds for the year. 3 years ago he was ordering 50 Cats. 2 years ago they gave him a different factory rep who is a horses butt. This guy helps to open another dealer 20 miles away and then tells my dealer that he is going to cut back his allotment of sleds. We're in mid-west Ohio for God's sake, not exactly the snow belt. My dealer is always the last in line for this new rep. now. He also sells Doo's so I switched to them. If Cat is going to treat their dealers that bad, how can I expect to be treated any better? I rode Cats for 22 years. By the way, my dealer has a great service dept. Some of the best mechanics around.

A

·
0 Posts
That is a shame, if AC looked back, they would see that the maw and paw dealers were the ones that got AC started and kept them going in the 80's when the big dealers dumped them.  Is AC looking to put out bad vibes?

AC

·
Registered
625 Posts
This is true, the "wal-marts" of snowmobile dealers will be the only ones left eventually (at least in poulated areas). A lot of dealers may become one brand dealers too, because pressure is mounting from some manufacturers for it to be that way. Honda is already starting to push for this which leads me to think sleds for them may not be far off, as this would be necessary for all of the dealers in the snowbelt to survive the winter. From the manufacturers standpoint it makes good sense, less shipping costs, less training $$$$, smaller support staff, for the same amount of machines sold....so they think. It sux to hear a dealer you were satisfied with gets the shaft, but business continues to change, and remember there is very little loyalty anymore, a hard lesson I learned being in business for myself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know of two dealers in my area that have had to drop Arctic Cat because of the large number of sleds they are required to carry by AC.  Its unfortunate, and hopefully AC realizes this before they lose too many good dealers.

·
Registered
757 Posts
That is really discouraging to hear.  Based on my experience, I much prefer the small dealer.  It seems they have a better perspective of who the customer is (ME).  I work 2 miles from the largest dealer in the Twin Cities and live 3 miles from another very large dealer.  I wouldn't give 2 cents to either one.  I don't like to be treated like a number.  My dealer is a small, Arctic Cat only shop that is a 40 mile drive but has a very good rep for customer service.  I'd rather give him my money than the large coorperate outfits.
I hope the industry doesn't quit supporting the smaller dealers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
mxz7 i was down visiting my uncle in lake mills and we swung over to that dealer its a shame that their droping cat because the people there were real friendly and helpful. All the cat merchandise is marked at 50% off so i picked a couple of things and saturday they had free hotdogs and soda going.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1greenmachine, Daves will survive with no problem.The AC sales just filled in the gap.Its to bad that things like this happen.Maybe its thier own fault for lacking sales.?  

·
Registered
428 Posts
Theres no way that dropping cat will put them out of business the place was just crawling with people  and lots were buying stuff. With all the other stuff they sell they'll stay afloat and maybe bring in a different brand of sled next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts