Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and girls, I am finally getting the sled together and need to put the drive shaft in. I have a shop manual and dont totally understand it for sure. I should have a bearing in the chain case and a lock bearing on the clutch side. Should there be any more bearings on there? I dont think but wanted to make sure. I didnt tear the sled apart, bought it as a bow of parts. So the lock bearing, goes in the triangles. I dont have the speedometer part on the one side. I just have another triangle on there. The lock bearing goes on the bulk head and the allen part of the bearing goes into the bulk head. I assime that you get the drive shaft in and into the chain case with the gear on it? Then you tighten down the lock bearing. How is exactly is it tightened down. the manual says to use a punch and it shows to hit the bearing or do u hit the part wear the allens are and which way do you hit it? What exactly is it supposed to do? Then you tighten the allens down i assume? Am I right in this are am i totally wrong? Can somebody explain this? Thanks for the help SWRules

·
Registered
508 Posts
Your post is very confusing. 2 bearings on the drive shaft. Your bearings (I think both) are the locking collar style. Your bearing ID should hang out farther than the bearing and fit into the locking collar (the thing with the allen screw). You twist the two pieces and they lock together, then you tigjten the allen screw to make sure they don't come loose. The picture probably shows someone hitting the locking coller to get it to lock with the bearing. This is not a fun job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not a fun job indeed. No, the shaft will not go through with the gear on it because you should have some drive wheels/sprockets on the drive shaft. It is your jackshaft that connects to your secondary. Yes the locking bearing is on the inside/tunnel side. There should be some spacers on the chaincase side too. Make sure not to gouge the seal with the gear splines too. Like mentioned ,,, not a fun job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts