Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year i might finally start contruction on a house.... I have been looking at log cabins online and cant find any that are "snowmobiler friendly" the seperated garage is a defininite no.... although one company has a three car garage with loft that doesnt sound too bad. I am wondering if any of you guys have had these houses built as your snowmobile cabins? and whether or not it was prefab shipped in or they built it on site... I started looking at the 1400-1800 sq/ft range.... but now i am realizing a 2000+ might be a better idea. Turnkey how much should i spend?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Spend as much as you can afford. If you skimp now you will regret it later. Our cabin is my full time residence, we scratch built it in 1978. Logs from our own property, flattened two sides in the yard with a chainsaw. Put up the walls with our backhoe, & manual labor. I'll post a picture later.

·
Registered
756 Posts
here is a view from my front porch last dec. 22

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
A couple of thoughts related to the home I've built/been building recently.....

Don't forget this thing is going to be taxed and heated when you are done.... point being, don't get it so big you can't afford to easily keep it when done.

Do go with the attached garage. You can't possibly build one that is too big.

Consider heating the floor of the garage. This would be my biggest mistake. Ice builds up in piles on the floor (to the point where you can trip over them) from the residual snow/ice on the heat exchangers. Becomes treachorous after awhile. I have no choice now but to insulate and use some type of furnace to heat the whole place up long enough to melt the ice....

Whatever else you do, make sure you allow for driving a sled through the garage withoout having to manhandle it turning it around. Extra wide/tall doors allow for easily driving tow vehicle/trailer through also.

If you can pull it off, do it. You'll never regret it. Snowmobile weekends will never be the same. Toss a change of clothes and a little food in the car and go. Your sleds will be there waiting, ready to go.

AL

·
Registered
756 Posts
same view in apr.

Attachments

·
1,327 Posts
Hey Powderboy,

One of my families best friends and her husband are a dealer for Viceroy home.

They offer really nice prefab home.

They are an Canadian dealer but I know they have some influence with the US dealers as well.

I could put you in contact with them if you like.

I send them quite a bit of business and they always take really good care of my referals.

Let me know if you are interested.

Their site is www.viceroy.com

DP

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Powderboy we live in a Pan- Abode log home and it is our year round residence. Our home is made of western red cedar. Our garage is not attached but I have seen pics of ones that are. :) :)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
MXZ900, Thats a real nice place. I would love to live in a place like that. One day... :D

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
http://www.northeasternloghomes.com I have a friend that built one of these,nice kit complete shell.one of the nicest on the market,really.I looked into them as well and have not ruled out that option on my place in mich..if we build a log home it will be using one of these.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I built a Confederation Log Home and love it I would post a pic if I can figure out how? They put together an excellent package at a great price. I have been at it for about a year and do not regret any of it. Tell me how to post a pic and I will.

onfederation Log Homes

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the idea of a drive through garage but what i have been discussing with a dealer is having the garage under the house. The house below is the model I am looking at. I would want the garage entrance where you see the door on the backside. heres a link to the floorplan
http://www.greatbearloghomes.com/images/pr...resprowstfp.gif
The dealer on that site seems to be very good... however they are in AZ... stinks for me but other dealers are willing to work with me to creat a similar plan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Build one yourself! The U.S. School of Log Building is 7 miles down the highway. I don't think classes are too expensive. We'll go riding while you're here learning how to do it (bring your sled).

·
Registered
373 Posts
I work with a guy that built a 2 car garage with a cedar log home over it this is the company he used,Ward log homes

·
Registered
168 Posts
Finnally figured out the picture thing. PM me if you have any questions. Confederation was great to work with. Not once did they say we can't do that.

Attachments

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With work I dont have enough time to build my own.... My Father is GC Super and if he got the time off i would just pay him to do it... I think that i want to sit down with the builder and make have him make it almost "turnkey" theres alot i know i can do myself that they will really take you for... I like that house petestoy.... very nice riding cabin.....

Today i found out that a buddy was lying about his season rental to get more $$$ outta us when we stayed there... turns out you can rent a 1600 sq/ft house with garage near town for only 4-6k a season... I think thats a good number so now I have gone rental shopping... heheh it never stops

·
Registered
756 Posts
Finally got a pic of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
from the beach side

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts