Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 95 EXT 580 last week, and am looking to upgrade the rear end. The shocks are totally blown out, but I seen this and thought I should research it some before just slapping new shocks on the old suspension. This kit increases travel from 8.5" to 11.5" and makes the rear end coupled.

It sounds great, but does it work? No dealers near me have heard of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't waste your money on their kit.  It uses stock Cat parts at double the regular retail price.  For $300-$400 you can buy a '97 or newer ZR suspension with 13.5" of travel and TSL  and put it in your sled.  TSL stands for torque sensing link and has been standard on all ZR's since '97.  It gives you the longer travel of the newer style suspension (13 1/2")and the TSL keeps the track tension constant allowing you to run the track at 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" sag instead of 1" sag like you have to now.  This gives longer slide wear, better weight transfer, a better top end and no ratcheting.  You do not need the bent tunnel like the newer sleds have to install this suspension.  I have done at least six of these conversions and it works great.  Every one has been amazed at how much better it makes the sled ride, you won't be disappointed.  You can use any ZR suspension that is a '97 or newer.  The ZL suspension with the TSL has different geometry and mounting dimensions so my instructions will not work for that suspension.  You can buy used suspensions complete with fox shocks for $300-$400.  You can find them on the internet in places likes sledcity.com or snowmobileworld.com classifieds and on e-bay.  Many dealers have used parts also.  Installation is easy with only a drill, pop rivets and a die grinder with a cut off wheel as tools.  You need to add a sheet metal plate inside the tunnel where the front arm mounts and drill new mounting holes for the front and rear arms.  The whole process takes only a couple of hours with my detailed instructions.  It is a step by step procedure with all the required mounting dimensions.  I charge $20 for the instructions.  Mail me a check and I will e-mail them to you the day I receive the [email protected]……….Dave

DLS Enterprises
525 Harbor Lane North
Plymouth, MN 55447

·
Registered
403 Posts
The kit is not as easy to put in and adjust like they claim. A friend of mine messed and messed with it and it took alot of time to get it set up right.(long leggs kit)

I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You also have to run the track very tight or it rachets.  If you want to do it, post on amsnow. Some one has a parts list.  It is all stock Cat parts.  I think the total cost is about $175 for the parts.  You have to drill new rear mounting holes in the tunnel.

·
Registered
308 Posts
fast cat I don't mean to interrupt the post but you seem to have experience with this
my ? is is a 93 lynx a good canidate for a suspension upgrade or should I just hunt a newer sled.
I would like to make the ride better for my wife to ride.  the sled is only worth 800 to 1000 dollars  but has less than 2000 miles on it

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much guys! Dave, I will definitly be getting ahold of ya when money starts to flow again. Big tax payment and 2 break downs last week left me high and dry. Tomorrow I will start the hunt for a 97 or newer TSL..

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The only thing with the tsl/ett suspension is that you will not get 13.5 inches of travel(rear axle) because you do not have the ett tunnel but you will get more than you have plus a better ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts