Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Long tracks are typically at least 136 inches and longer and provide better floatation in deep snow with better traction.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Maybe better traction but probably less top speed because it takes more torque to spin it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
if a long track is studded and goes against a normal track and studded ( same CC) the long track will take it out of the hole. ( same driver weight as well)

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
A 136" track will give you more flotation in deep powder, better traction, better braking and overall a better handling machine. It provides a bigger contact patch on the snow. The 121" of today only have a small amount of the track on the snow at any given time because of the long travel suspension. A 121" track in the early 90's with a 7 " rear suspension had a much larger contact patch, simaliar to today's 136" track. That is why so many people want to convert there 121"'s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
longer tracks are mainly for the mountains where the added traction and flotation is needed to get to the top.
yes you lose top speed,you will have to gear down a bit so you can turn the longer track...but where I ride going 90mph is impossible.

I have a 136" track and it is considered a shorty

·
Registered
959 Posts
well depending on your riding style a long track may be good or may be bad if you ride in powder ot anything more then 10 inches deep alllll the time get a 136 in track if you ride on packed trails get a shorty my next sled is gonna be a 136x1.5 600cc for the off trail back woods that i do but ill keep the shorty along for the ride

·
Registered
287 Posts
racing with a friend of mine down a mountain road, the fastest I hit was 70 mph on my 141 2' paddle track. most of the time all you saw (from behind) was the track mark in the snow. NO SKI'S TOUCHING. It's a little freaky to me, like hydroplanning. this was on a foot and a half of fresh powder. The sled was almost tached out. its geared really low, but it will climb a tree! I had short tracks, and where I live, you have to have a long track or your just digging yourself out all day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have a 136" and i trail ride it i got a 1" camoplast track on it and i got 110mph (on the cat speedo) out of it on a lake

the long track provide more traction, floatation, and also a better ride

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
As all 2 up touring sleds are 136" it is for far more than powder but if you doo want to go off trail the option is there with more flotation. With the precision skiis on the gade with a 1.25"x136" track I can rail through the twisties with any 121"

·
Registered
384 Posts
you will notice a big diff. in cornering,the longer the track the worse it gets

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I have a machine with 136" track... They are a lot more comfortable in the bumps... the control in the powder is much better, the only thing is that i get more inside ski lift with the long track machine. And if you are a light guy like me 130 last winter. you will find that they are harder control at high speeds in the twists. I gained a few pounds this year (25) so I will see if the ride is different.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you are wondering about performance with a long track, you might want to check out the guys that are performing well at the drags. Nearly every one will be a long track. With todays big horsepower sleds and the extra contact area available with the long tracks they are becoming a very popular option. The 133/136 happens to work very well on the hard packed trails also...for the same reasons. They don't fit down into the moguls created by the 121's very well and most people will say they ride better because of it.

AL

·
Registered
35 Posts
ALOT of good opinions here. I have a 2 longtracks and one is only a 136 and is 95% on the trails, wifes sled. But I still hop on it every now and then and I can keep up with the shorty's in the corners and have to let off while they get traction coming out, all of our sleds this year are going to go to 136 at least, very good all around length, unless your in the deep stuff all the time. I didn't gear mine down at all and only lost about 5mph on the top end. 100mph is too damn fast anyway. I'd rather my track turning 75mph and my sled going about 5. When that happens that means I am in powder up to seat, lovin it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If all you are conserned with is top speed, stick with the 121. For everything else a 136 is a better match combonation for todays long travel suspentions. Last year was my first year on a 136 and I could not imajine going back, everything about it other than a little loss in top speed is far superior over the 121.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
after having one year on a 136 i will never go back to a 121 ,the 136 outperforms it in just about every category

1 - 17 of 17 Posts