Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to see a local Yamaha dealer today about a Vmax 600er. Does anyone have any experience with this sled at all? It is for my wife. We have Cats now and like them, but he is in the town we live in so I thought it doesn't hurt to check it out. He does not have this particular sled in stock, but said he can get one in. I am taking over my wife's sled this afternoon to have him look at it for a trade in towards the sled. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Unless you like paying for the triples I would stick with cat and get a new zl with EFI for your wife. Note you will most likely get a better trade for your old cat with a cat dealer IMO.

·
Registered
253 Posts
5Youngs,

I bought my wife a leftover '02 Vmax700ER. My dealer had both in stock, but I chose the 700 over the 600 because of the power issue with the 600. Most folks that have the SX600R have said it's a bit anemic on the power side. Therefore, my choice was pretty easy. They weigh the same, yet you get 100cc more. My wife will probably never use all the power, but it's definitely nice to have. Plus, if I ride it, it won't be such a total shock going from my SRX to her VMax. I'm sure resale would be better, also.

Unfortunately, hers is new and we don't have any riding experience to give you. I've heard the ride is fantastic (soft) compared to the SX-R models and Viper. The KYB shocks are different than those sleds and are calibrated for a more refined, comfortable ride. The total sled package is supurb; looks, mirrors, electric start, reverse, seat comfort, ergonomics. I know this is a cliche', but you just can't beat the fit and finish of the Yammi's.

What ever you decide, I'm sure she'll be happy with either one.

Jon

·
Registered
387 Posts
great sled, hasn't changed much in several years -- so see if you can get a better deal on an 02 leftover, or at least use the price of the new 02 to get a better deal on the 03...

it is extremly reliable but the suspension is getting a bit tired.

the triple is the best thing about yamaha, no one makes a better triple and man is it smooth... there are faster sleds but if you were buying a sled strictly for speed you would not even be looking at a Vmax so I am assuming it isn't a major concern...

I had a 99 Vmax and an 02 Viper --- Yamaha quality is second to none -- but you do pay for it in added weight.

good luck!

AAJMO!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Great gas mileage compared to Cats

97-100hp

Looks exactly like the 02

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Old and bulletproof those engines are, uncle's 02 has 2k from last season and he's treated it like crap!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. The dealer called me Saturday and gave a good trade in price for the Cat. I have to think about this for a while now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts