Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up with sleds, started out with a ski doo 250, moved up yamaha 340, then polaris indy 400, then ended with a ski doo formula SS 670 about 4 years ago due to cost and lack of snowfall in my area. At this point in my life i'm getting into trapping, and hope to have my own registared line for next fall, so I need a sled. I also ice fish and hunt a lot, I dont want anything big and expensive just a light little long track that can pull a trailer and get me out and around in the bush and deep snow (use my big bear 400 4x4 when the snow isnt deep) I started looking around at the big 4 sled companys websites today (poo poo, cat, ski doo, and yamaha) and think a bravo would best fit my needs which are:

AFFORDABLE! (I dont want payments, I want something I can pay off with cash)
Reliable
Able to get out in the bush, and pull a trailer and myself (I'm a big boy at about 260lb's)
Speed IS NOT an issue

I think the bravo is the only current sled that really fits my needs, I looked at the Tundra 300 and the cost is (I think, remebering offhand) $1500 more and the extra cost isnt justified for me. I also looked at the bearcat, and I dont think the size is needed, and polaris machine (forget name) cross-over utility/sport which I dont think would fit my needs as well, and cost/size would be an issue. I want to go new because I think its' a better deal, people want way to much for old used utility sleds around here ($2500 mid 80's 250) so I might as well pay the $4600 MSRP and go new. I dont think I missed anything? Also I couldn't find any current reviews on newer bravos. When I was growing up my buddy had an old tundra 250, would it basicly be the same even though its 20 years newer? That machine was bulletproof and did everything I need.

Thanks for time, info, suggestions ect.

·
Registered
361 Posts
the bravo is the way to go, much better than its competition, its bulletproof, lightweight, cheap, do it

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think Alaska may be one of the last places you can buy one of those machines new - at least the dealers make it sound that way. In any case, they do sell them to interior trappers who want a machine than can float on the deep stuff, but still also be lifted out when the bottom drops out. As long as you don't need to travel a bunch, they are great machines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only need a sled for the top end of my trap line, maybe 7-10mi. Like I said, speed isn't an issue, really a bigger engine wouldn't help because you can only go fast on little wooded trails and i'm expecting 60+km/h top speed and I dont think i'll get over 25, only cross a few large ponds, so its not like I can really get it going anywhere.

Somebody PMed me and said I should get a tundra, but I dont see why, only thing I see that comes with the tundra is 50cc more and rev. At 260 I dont need rev on a small machine like a bravo (Didn't have it on my Formula SS 670) am I missing something? if not like I said before I cant justify the $1,500 extra. I checked a local autotrader and found an 06 bravo for $3,100 with 39km, gonna sleep on it and maybe call in the morning.

·
Registered
361 Posts
get the bravo

who needs reverse, you can pick this thing up and carry it on your back if you needed to, im a die hard ski doo guy, but in this case, i say go with the bravo, ours is still running strong and sounds perfect for what you need it for

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I saw a brand new Bravo at the Yammy dealers the other day. Funny part is that they haven't changed at all. Why change what works I say, :). We have an 83 Bravo here that is in great conditions and has been through a few kids. I just took the Carb off for a cleaning and am going to replace the head gasket. I have alot of fun riding it myself and it is SO light.

Good luck with your quest, I think you are on the right track.

Permafrost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts