Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ,I've seen some where a clear spark plug for tuning in idle circuit for proper fuel. Second, a tool to help compress the primary clutch for easy removal of weights. Thanks for any help.

·
10,054 Posts
you should be able to loosen the nuts on the primary slowly,,,, take all but 3 out and turn each of them slowly and keep them even and you shouldnt need a tool to compress it,,,, as for a clear spark plug,,, never heard of one,,, good luck with that one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
First ,I've seen some where a clear spark plug for tuning in idle circuit for proper fuel. Second, a tool to help compress the primary clutch for easy removal of weights. Thanks for any help.[/b]
The only clear spark plugs that I've ever seen were the plastic ones, filled with desiccant crystals. The plugs were installed in the spark plug holes over the storage period to absorb any moisture that may have occurred in the cylinders.

I think that somebody must've been pullin' yer pisser on that one, Horneyman...Not sure what you'd see through one, either.

:lmao:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I too, have never head of a clear spark plug for tuning the idle circuit. I can't see how something like that would even be useful because the spark has nothing to do with the idle. You tune your idle with a variety of parts and adjustments depending on the particulars of your intake system: the air screw; fuel screw; pilot jet; carb slide cut-away; idle speed screw; etc. There are tools to help compress the primary and secondary clutches. There was posts on some of the web forums for a tool that would compress the clutch with it still on the crank. With the clutch removed from the sled I made a tool with threaded rod, fender washers and some nuts.

·
10,054 Posts
the more I think about it, how would a clear spark plug work,,, what material would it be made of,,, to hold that spark yet keep from melting,,, there honestly may be something out there, but I have never heard of it and would question how well it would actually work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:rolleyes: :lookaround: Gues what I found that spark plug it's at www.eastwoodco.com. and it's called a "color tune plug" it lets you see the flame your producing . Hot blue is a good mixture, a yellow a too rich mixture, a white blue to lean. In the search box put in "color tune"

·
10,054 Posts
well there is one out there,,,, but at 81$ a pop, I will continue to read my plugs and piston wash,,,

·
Registered
337 Posts
First ,I've seen some where a clear spark plug for tuning in idle circuit for proper fuel. Second, a tool to help compress the primary clutch for easy removal of weights. Thanks for any help.[/b]

http://www.hiperf.com/

Hi-Performance Engineering seem to list a large selection of sled tools.

In Canada Royal Distributing is the place to shop for non OEM equipment.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/

·
Registered
980 Posts
well there is one out there,,,, but at 81$ a pop, I will continue to read my plugs and piston wash,,,[/b]
That thing is only for setting idle and we don't read plugs and piston wash for idle adjustments. It would seem to be a real pain in the butt to use that thing with multiple carbs. It seems to me that factory specs are pretty good for idle set up and the most difficult thing to address with idle problems is carb sync, especially on round slide carbs, and the "color tune' won't help with that. Tune the idle by ear and you're much further ahead. IMO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a triple freak from 600cc to 900cc love the way they pull. But of course that means another carb and 50% more problems and alot harder to find a bad carb when it doesn't seem SUPER crisp. It should help to find that problem carb. It seems hard to tell and find a lean idle or a rich idle with a triple having 3 carbs. But we do mostly trail riding woods lower throttle riding 1/4 to 1/2. Throttle and braking alot if running hard so in my riding a GREAT low end throttle response gets you there the quickest. Carb sync. I agree is the FIRST and most important low end response. Cluthing Second. But being a triple freak and love getting the most out of them I use V-force 3's reeds,UFO's ,porting and polishing, pipes and of course round side carbs with the older triples, which all affect idle to 1/4 throttle. Factory setting is a starting point but with mods it all changes if you want a crisp throttle response in the lower end.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm a triple freak from 600cc to 900cc love the way they pull. But of course that means another carb and 50% more problems and alot harder to find a bad carb when it doesn't seem SUPER crisp. It should help to find that problem carb. It seems hard to tell and find a lean idle or a rich idle with a triple having 3 carbs. But we do mostly trail riding woods lower throttle riding 1/4 to 1/2. Throttle and braking alot if running hard so in my riding a GREAT low end throttle response gets you there the quickest. Carb sync. I agree is the FIRST and most important low end response. Cluthing Second. But being a triple freak and love getting the most out of them I use V-force 3's reeds,UFO's ,porting and polishing, pipes and of course round side carbs with the older triples, which all affect idle to 1/4 throttle. Factory setting is a starting point but with mods it all changes if you want a crisp throttle response in the lower end.[/b]
That sound great. Please let us know how the gizmo works because major mods can sure throw those calibrations out the window and leave you staring from scratch. I have UFO's too, so I know a little of where you're coming from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts