Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all this track and alignment information made me wonder does anyone loosen the track on their sled for the summer storage ?

·
Registered
959 Posts
YES YES YES  i do every summer  it can hurt the track

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
no but mabey i should

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm with jwheeler on this one. I think after I pull my skid frame out I'll leave the track loose when I put it back together.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I used to for years but stopped doing it even more years than I can remember. I think maybe with the new compounds out the last several years might have a lot to do with it?
I have never ever had a problem with a major streched track or cracks or anything related with leaving the track tight all summer......IMO

·
Registered
328 Posts
I never have before either.  Probably never will unless I start experiencing probs.  I have never had track damage other than lugs ripping off.  After saying that I had better find some wood to knock on though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
 I have that with the material used in the newer tracks if you leave tension on them they will not stretch, infact if you loosen them they can shrink. this is argueable my track was stored loose this year.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I always loosen mine.  Started years ago, and just keep doing it.  

FishHog

·
Registered
757 Posts
I read somewhere that once the new tracks set, they will not stretch any more.  Good question though.  I've always left mine tight.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
An intelligent question. the only thing i do is make sure the weight is off the suspension. It very important to keep your track off the ground and away from moisture other then that i wouldnt know.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I already run mine so loose that it almost ratchets. Any loosening on my part wouldn't do any good. But for those that run theirs tighter, I don't see where it could hurt. You need to loosen the track some to check bearings, bogies, etc. anyway...so why not loosen the track and force yourself to check everything else?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Although I'm carefull to get the weight off the suspension, I've never loosened the track for storage. I have never blown a track....

AL

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already run mine so loose that it almost ratchets.
[/b]
that's the way i have to run mine or otherwise it seems a way too tight.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I always loosen mine.  Started years ago, and just keep doing it.  

FishHog
[/b]
fishy-you did mean your old girlfriend's bra strap??right?? :lmao: :inlove: :lmao:

Although I'm carefull to get the weight off the suspension, I've never loosened the track for storage. I have never blown a track....

AL
[/b]
yep-make em dangle in mid air-no stress-no mess.
milk crates work good for the front end-right under the belly pan.
also-put something under the back to keep the track OFF THE GROUND!!
2-2x4's will doo it.
i am the master of summerizing!
don't forget to drop 1/2 can of w-d 40 on the engine block and skid frame.
next fall-you'll be happy.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't know that it matters a whole lot. There are things that make a lot more difference than track tension I believe.

*spinning the track when climbing across hard objects: rocks, metal, maybe even wood or ice is probably the worst

*storing the machine where the track is exposed to sunlight (UV) or wet, or ozone from welders or motors will deteriorate the rubber

*time

*and if you think about it, even hard acceleration is a lot more stressful (stretchful) to a track in many more ways that is some tension.

It doesn't hurt to take the tension off, I don't think. Then again it probably does as much good as taking tension off the springs when it isn't being ridden - (ever think about how much less stressful it is just to sit there than it is to be pounded over miles of bumps all day?)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm with Idooski on this one.
I used to loosen them, but now I run the track fairly loose and it wouldn't reduce the tension on the track if I did back it down.

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts