Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents were out riding with a couple they know. they have ridden Yamaha for the 12 or so years I've known them. This year it will be different. They are looking for sleds to replce their 500 Phazers and since Yamaha has abandoned this part of the market, they're looking elsewhere.

Any comments on Yamha's emphasis on higher profit sleds and no entry level sleds? This may hurt them down the road when there isn't any used "Phazer type" sleds on the market. If your first sled is a used sled and you have a good experience with that particular brand, you're likely to buy a new sled from the same company.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yamaha-No Fans                      
Arctic Cat-No Triples

What is next, SkiDoo no Rotax?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
revrnd,
 sled manufacturers should watch because the loyal buyers are the types like you described. if a manufacturer dictates what the buying public should use then the customer is gone because not only he can't get what he wants but his feelings are damaged alittle.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Dont they still make the bravo
they did last year or the year before because i know a guy who bought one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would love to see yamha build the phazer again or else a nice 440 liquid sled in a phazer type body, just like the old 440SRX......just add some reliability.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wouldn't say that Yamaha is emphasizing on profit...they are building a four stroke sled for the price of competetive two strokes. Not only that but in the past couple of years they have continued to build triples when everyone else was building twins. Triples are much more expensive to produce and I think that is why everone is pushing them so much. Now everyone is charging just as much for their twins as they were for their triples...now thats emphasizing profit, especially when the twins are much cheaper to manufacture! During all of this Yamaha has stayed with the triples because all in all they are the best way to go. Not only that but there triples have been reasonably priced. They are the only ones who aren't emphasizing on profit. I was at the dealer a couple of months ago with a friend and he was asking about the loss of the Phazer. They said they were happy because now they never sold any and there was always over-stock at the end of the season. I don't call that emphasizing profit...I call it adapting to the market. I will miss it though...it was a great sled especially for the money.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
guys you cannot forget your entry level for the young family. if the president of the united states of america only wanted votes from the people that ride the biggest triple would he have a better chance then the other guy that will look for the votes from those that ride 500's and under ? look at the amount of hyundai and kia types on the road today, that is because the major car companies have forgot about the little average guy. yamaha is making a mistake and i hope they see it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 500 SxR liquid, I enjoy that I can pass every other gas station when my friend have to stop with there big sleds. It seams today sled manuf. are trying to out do each other. Hopefully your parents will consider a small liquid.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul seems to hit it right on the head. Someone who is married and getting into the sport isn't going to run out and buy a 600 LC with all the bells and whistles. What is a 3 year old Vmax 600 going to cost on the used market? Like I said earlier alot of people getting into the sport start out with an affordable used sled. Ski-doo and Polaris seem to have their sleds in the 500 fan segment.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Welcome to the swamp Ayeeeeeeee  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mother was saying that their friends that were replacing the Yamahas, bought a couple of fan-cooled Legends. They also looked at the Polaris Classics. I guess their money isn't good enough for Yamaha.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those japanines must be speed freaks
. I mean why else is the whole lineup triples and no twins?? I can't imagine a little guy like that on a 160hp machine. I think yamahas thinking is BIGGER IS BETTER. Just look at the rest of there produces. As long as people buy them thay will keep makin them. WHY FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN!!

A

·
0 Posts
Flyntriple, could it be they are going after the arctic triple market???

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
it makes me wonder if anyone from the oem's are reading what we have to say here.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would think ALL brands look more at what we buy than what we say.
How about Dodge and Plymouth?

Last edited by toydoc at April 05, 2002, 07:17am

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Toydoc:
What was the point of the second sentence in your post?

Last edited by toydoc at April 05, 2002, 08:15am

·
Registered
731 Posts
I will use quotes.
paul:
"It makes me wonder if anyone from the oem's are reading what we have to say here."
toydoc:
"I would think ALL brands look more at what we buy than what we say.
                      How about Dodge and Plymouth? "
revrnd:
" What was the point of the second sentence in your post?"

Nomater what market, if it's sales and the product has slow or low sales or your market share is to small, it can be droped. Even if it has years of good cust that don't want to see it go.
We still have Dodge, but Plymouth is gone.

Last edited by toydoc at April 05, 2002, 2:13pm

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
toydoc,
 but the two dodge and plymouth were stablemates, clones of eachother.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, but if you owned a Plymouth Road Runner, you had a Road Runner not a GTX. People did't like the idea of droping something that has such a long and good history, but if it will help the bottom line a company will do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts