Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what kind of mods people have done other than clutching and jetting that were relatively low cost with as, or better than expected results for power or handling improvements!

What did the mods cost to do?

What kind of sled was it on?

Which ones were not worth doing?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've put j-hooks on and those were a cheap mod that I really liked. I am also doing some clutching at the moment and my dad already had some of the parts I needed so that will be relatively cheap. I am also putting in a 2 inch riser and as soon as we get some snow around here I'll go test this stuff out.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I've never really tuned on sleds a lot but when it comes to cars I always try to lighten up the weight of the thing.
Replace steel with aluminum or plastic at every chance.
The lighter it is the faster it will go. ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Crankshop in your back yard(all the doo guys here know
the phone #)they will be able to set up with what kind of driving
you do.Trailing,racing etc,most liking be able to tell what will
best for yoursled.Or do what i did put a winter "X" motor in
that put a smile on each and every time you crack her.Best mod
I every spent money on period!!!

Cape Breton stock..................

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the AD Boivin ets mod to my 98 FIII, helps keep the skiis down in turns, and takes the bumps a little better, not as much weight transfer to the rear when drag racing etc.......$130

This year I installed the MBRP widening kit, havent rode with it as of yet, ez install and got it on sale from shadetree for $135 in july.

·
Registered
496 Posts
On my sxr 700 I thinned the head gasket and jetted it and added a 1 " riser on the bars . That was all the stuff well under 40 bucks . The new track, studs,and soon clutching are the big dollars.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Slarson,how far from the North Attlebro area are you? I am waiting for the paper work
to come back now.Need to know who to conact about renting in that area.We also
have a `98 zl 500 with a few mods that brought it alive.We installed reeds, D.D.
super single pipe,D.D.\Dylton Ind.clutching,camoplast lite weight track(8lbs under stock)
power breather,wahl brother disc and hub assembly.The last one to date was aETT rear
cuopling kit(about 139.00 Can)really improved ride at higher speeds and controlled
ski lift in corners.This did make it harder to launch the sled in a drag race against the 600cc
sleds it races .This set up has proved to increase fuel milageup to 12-14mpg`s range.
It will run strong for it`s size . Cape Breton Stock.............................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts