Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are looking to tour around the U.P. the first or second week of Dec.. We are trying to do this extra cheap. Where are the cheapest places to stay? Any of them half decent? We figure on traveling from Mercer to Hurley, and throughout the entire U.P. from the Keewinaw to the Sault (if they get snow). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I stayed in a cabin in paradise a couple of years ago. Just across the street to the west of the Days Inn there. Was 2 bedroom, and like $50 a nite, with a kitchen. You can save $$$ by bringing groceries and not eatn' out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I stayed in the Lake Gogebic Motel in Bergland for $25 or $30 a night; that included tax. The rooms were sufficient for staying the night and resting, besides I stayed out from 7:30 am until around 11 at night. Others may laugh, but I bring a cooler with non perishable foods and such. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, power bars, tuna and cracker packs, pop-tarts, chips, cookies, fruit, etc.... Hey, I may not eat that great, but it does get extremely expensive if you spend a week up there and three meals a day are spent opening your wallet. Heck, a can of Pepsi is usually $1.50, so even grabbing a coke and a smile starts to drain your fundage. Don't get me wrong, I like to be a patron and leave some of my money where I vacation, I just don't like them to take most of it. Plus, when you enter a sport such as ours, it's not only quite expensive to start it up, but also to keep it going. I just call it being wise with my hard earned money and since it doesn't come easy, I have a right to be that way.

Jon

·
Registered
114 Posts
Blade Guy,

I live in the Keweenaw in the U.P. and snowmobile season has started! Went out today for a couple hours. Just barely enough snow to cover rocks, etc. By Dec, it should be good.

I recommend the Elm's Motel in Calumet on 6th St., (a couple blocks from my house), Northgate Motel (also in Calumet on U.S. 41). For low $ food, the Hut Inn can't be beat. Large portions of quality homestyle food about 1 mi. north of Calumet, also Paradise Grill (between Houghton and Calumet), and of course Burger King is here too. There's more motels & good food up here and most are on or near the trails. Trail signs also point to these places. By December, sled season should be just cranking up and businesses love us. Let me know if you need more info. Maybe I can help.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Try the "Black river lodge." It's just outside of Ironwood, by Hurley. You can get a town house that sleeps 8-10 for $176.00 a night. they have a bar, restaraunt, Indoor pool, and hot tub. Just a few miles from town. Every time I have been there it's been nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts