Snowmobile World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 93 xlt with 5600 miles in awesome original shape. Motor is all original and starts on one pull. I ran a compression test and got 98 lbs on each cylinder. It seems low but when I pull it over by hand it feels tight. I ran a test on my other sled and got 130 lbs with the same tester. Whats going on here? Do I need new rings?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
XLTs are typically around 120

try another tester

but then again at 5600miles a new set of rings and a hone job would be nice

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree try a different tester first. Its amazing how they can vary. Then when that one doesn't tell you the answer you wanna see, tray another, and another until they do. Haha just kidding! Prob is time for some freshening up. Won't take much to put in new rings or you could get it honed and install new pistons and rings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say freshen her up. or drive her till she grenades :confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Id say get yourself SPI pistons with new set of rings, hone the cylinders and then youll have many more life to go this coming winter. WL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My sled is the same. 96 xlt 600 with 9700 miles on it and never been apart. I tested mine last fall and it was at 97lbs pre cyl. Ran it last season and put 1600 miles on it and had no problems. But i think i will be doing a little freshing up. Probably hone,rings,piston if i dont buy a 08 iq shift

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have a 95, its got a couple low cylinders too. I took the heads off last week to have a look to see for any damage, still looked as if it was new fromt he factory. I think imma pass on a fix, so I know ill be blowing a crank this winter. HE HE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 95, its got a couple low cylinders too. I took the heads off last week to have a look to see for any damage, still looked as if it was new fromt he factory. I think imma pass on a fix, so I know ill be blowing a crank this winter. HE HE.[/b]

you really dont need new pistons if they are ok... just honing the cylinders and putting in new rings will suffice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts